macOS dictation keeps making the same (very specific) mistake

When I use a particular term using macOS dictation, my Mac always makes the same mistake.

Whenever I say "American advertisers" (which I have to say a lot!) it always comes up with "Association of National Advertisers". This is such a specific error I'm sure that somewhere it is what I've "taught" it to say.

Does anyone know how I can wipe its memory? I have tried deleting my dictation history in settings, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. Also it only happens on my M2 Mac Mini, and not on my Air...

Mac mini, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 4:09 PM

Hi Robert Berkeley,

If you've cleared the dictation history as outlined here: Delete Siri and Dictation history on Mac - Apple Support, this clears the audio recordings sent to Apple, it doesn't reset the Dictation learned behavior.

Have you tried also turning Dictation off and then on again?

"Turn off Dictation

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Go to Dictation on the right, then turn it off."

Additionally, we'd advise turning Siri off and then on again.

"Turn off Siri

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Siri & Spotlight  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. On the right, turn off Ask Siri."

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Robert Berkeley

Hi Robert Berkeley,

If you've cleared the dictation history as outlined here: Delete Siri and Dictation history on Mac - Apple Support, this clears the audio recordings sent to Apple, it doesn't reset the Dictation learned behavior.

Have you tried also turning Dictation off and then on again?

"Turn off Dictation

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Go to Dictation on the right, then turn it off."

Additionally, we'd advise turning Siri off and then on again.

"Turn off Siri

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Siri & Spotlight  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. On the right, turn off Ask Siri."

Cheers!

macOS dictation keeps making the same (very specific) mistake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.