Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot copy/paste folder, get Error Code -36

I cannot copy/paste a folder on my new iMac 24 running Ventura 13.2. I can move a folder from Documents to the Desktop; but if I do a Copy and Paste for the same folder, I always get an Error Code -36 message. This is true for any folder containing jpg, docx, xlxs, m4a, etc. files. It also happens when trying to copy to a flash drive. It also happens with an empty folder. I can copy/paste individual files with no problem; the problem only occurs with folders. I have worked with five different Apple tech people trying countless things over the last month; they have watched it happen. Nobody has come up with a solution or fix. I have a MacBook Air running the same software, and I am able to copy/paste on it. Any ideas?

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 1:16 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 10, 2023 5:58 AM in response to Illinois John

Illinois John wrote:

I cannot copy/paste a folder on my new iMac 24 running Ventura 13.2. I can move a folder from Documents to the Desktop; but if I do a Copy and Paste for the same folder, I always get an Error Code -36 message. This is true for any folder containing jpg, docx, xlxs, m4a, etc. files. It also happens when trying to copy to a flash drive. It also happens with an empty folder. I can copy/paste individual files with no problem; the problem only occurs with folders. I have worked with five different Apple tech people trying countless things over the last month; they have watched it happen. Nobody has come up with a solution or fix. I have a MacBook Air running the same software, and I am able to copy/paste on it.

Any ideas?

Yes—I would do what works.

Cannot copy/paste folder, get Error Code -36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.