Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are virus warning pop ups "Viruses found" "system is at risk" real? How to deal with virus warning pop ups?

Hi Apple Community,

My MacBook Air started to have virus warning pop ups multiple times daily last week. (Please see the first picture)

After I clicked "Viruses Found" warning, McFee Total Protection safari browser popped up (see picture 2).

After I clicked "System is at risk" warning, PlayStation Sweepstakes draw chrome browser popped up. (see picture 3)

I think the warnings are probably fake but they have Mac's system setting logo. I got this MacBook Air in May 2022 and I never downloaded any AntiVirus software. Does anyone know how to deal with this situation? Thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 12:18 PM

Yes, I ignore this, but how DO you remove it?

Besides "viruses found," McAfee/Norton message also says, "Click to activate!"

I've searched on my computer for both "McAfee" and "Norton," and nothing comes up.

Thank you!

5 replies

Feb 11, 2023 10:41 AM in response to agivingtree

Hello agivingtree,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities. It appears that you have malware that's affecting the Chrome web browser. We recommend getting in touch with the developer of the app for assistance with this: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

In regard to the Mac security, these articles can help inform you how to keep your Mac safe:

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Ways to avoid malware and harmful apps on Mac - Apple Support

That should help. Let us know if you have any questions.

Take care.

Mar 12, 2023 12:56 PM in response to agivingtree

FACT: You were on the Internet.

Translation: A fake popup appeared.

Nothing was infected because a popup from a website does not have the ability to access your system files, modify them, then demand payment to remove something that never existed.

Anyone can write an HTML popup with an image copy of the settings icon. ⚙️

This is a scam!!

If you receive a suspicious email or SMS text message that looks like it's supposed to be from Apple, please email it to reportphishing@apple.com. 

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams.

Are virus warning pop ups "Viruses found" "system is at risk" real? How to deal with virus warning pop ups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.