Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System pop-up 'virus alert' seems to be malware

Since yesterday I'm receiving system pop-ups on my Mac telling me there's a virus or that I need to update.

These are not actually coming from my system although it is using the system logo.

I downloaded Intego anti-virus software but it can't seem to get rid of it.

Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 5:17 AM

fleur132 wrote:

Since yesterday I'm receiving system pop-ups on my Mac telling me there's a virus or that I need to update.
These are not actually coming from my system although it is using the system logo.

Many thanks!

Since there are no "virus " effecting macOS you can assume it is phishing/pop-up/notification after your money...

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

similar—

McAfee Virus on MacBook Pro running Ventu… - Apple Community

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 5:17 AM in response to fleur132

fleur132 wrote:

Many thanks!

Since there are no "virus " effecting macOS you can assume it is phishing/pop-up/notification after your money...

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

similar—

McAfee Virus on MacBook Pro running Ventu… - Apple Community

Third party AntiVirus is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apple’s own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

System pop-up 'virus alert' seems to be malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.