Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing hundreds of dollars of music.

Songs I literally listened to a few days ago are now completely missing from my iTunes and when I go into the store to redownload, I can't because it seems Apple has forgotten that I purchased them.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 4:02 AM

The Apple Music folder contains DRM content associated with the Apple Music subscription. This includes any lossless audio downloads whether of purchases or other Apple Music content. The purchased version you get to keep regardless of a subscription is still the 256k AAC version. You would need to turn off lossless downloads in order to get those reliably. See About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support and the section How to turn lossless audio on or off.

See my user tip Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for more on the folder layout. The section on iTunes Media Organization describes how to eliminate the last Music folder from that set of nested folders if you wish.

tt2

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2023 4:02 AM in response to Alley_Cat

The Apple Music folder contains DRM content associated with the Apple Music subscription. This includes any lossless audio downloads whether of purchases or other Apple Music content. The purchased version you get to keep regardless of a subscription is still the 256k AAC version. You would need to turn off lossless downloads in order to get those reliably. See About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support and the section How to turn lossless audio on or off.

See my user tip Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for more on the folder layout. The section on iTunes Media Organization describes how to eliminate the last Music folder from that set of nested folders if you wish.

tt2

Feb 17, 2023 4:54 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

You would need to turn off lossless downloads in order to get those reliably. See About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support and the section How to turn lossless audio on or off.

Thanks - that was my hunch when trying to set up a Music library on an external drive earlier - i.e. having lossless/hi-res downloads might prevent the lossy versions of audio and perhaps newer HD video (with HD video downloads selected) from showing correctly.

So much has become unintuitive over the years, and if content really does go by the wayside for any reason I wish they would actually email you to advise that this will happen on a particular date as now you only potentially find out when it's too late (assuming you even notice).

Feb 16, 2023 9:26 AM in response to picas

Thank you so much for the response. Nothing is hidden, but also no purchases show before 2011, which is just crazy. That's about 7 years of purchases lost. No account change, still using the same email. But thank you for the link. It actually allowed me to see how far my purchase history went back and it does not go back as far as it should.

Feb 16, 2023 10:55 AM in response to mu71sh

Do have these tracks backed up anywhere? Are they on an old computer or device? Prior to 2009 songs from the iTunes Store were sold on a single download only basis with DRM. You needed to back them up and potentially burn to audio CD and rip back to make them easier to use. Some content from the back catalog, particularly older items, is at risk of being removed if the rights holders decide to remove content from the store. I believe changes in licencing terms may make that less of an issue for more recent purchases, but still a really good idea to make your own physical backups rather than rely on availability in the cloud.

tt2

Feb 17, 2023 2:01 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2

Having always in the past downloaded purchases in iTunes I've not started doing so until recently in Monterey.

I'm probably just not used to the Music app way of doing things (hate change), but any idea why if I go to iTunes Store>Purchased and download pas purchases some are going to the Apple Music folder as HLS Media encoded files, whereas others go to the Music folder as actual downloads?

When you look at default folder naming too it's confusing:

Username>Music>Music>Media>Music

Utterly daft in my view to have nested folders with those names.

Feb 17, 2023 6:45 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks for that. It is covered already though I've added this bit of text to the Special folders section for clarity. A new empty library shouldn't generate the extra /Music/ layer.

Music [Optional] Artist folders and Compilations may be nested into

a Music subfolder, typically when a library has been migrated

from iTunes. See iTunes Media Organization below for more

tt2

Feb 17, 2023 3:19 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Alley_Cat wrote:

Whatever. Don't be so precious. Genuine reply to a helpful response from another poster.

Sorry, I don't normally reply in a cranky manner but I find that comment patronising.

Best wishes.

AC

Note to self:

Review full thread to ensure you're referencing the correct one! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Hijacking maybe/maybe not, certainly unintentional.

Missing hundreds of dollars of music.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.