Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will this work? Disable iCloud Desktop & Documents

In setting up new MacBook Pro M1 from an older iMac, I enabled iCloud Desktop and Documents feature in error.  Another of our MacBook Pro’s info now appears on the new MBP’s Desktop and Files [as is the design of this feature].

As an alternate to disabling the iCloud Desktop & Documents sharing feature -- and going through the process of getting all files back from iCloud to the Local Mac (i.e., to my new MacBook Pro M1), I plan to

--Wipe the transferred info from the new MacBook Pro M1 and start over

---Transferring the info from the old iMac to the new MacBook Pro and not select the iCloud sharing and backup feature

--Will this work? 

---will the new computer, MBP, be clear of the previously shared (from the other MBP) iCloud Desktop & Documents 

----and files on the new MPB stay in the original order (of the old iMac) and not be showing another MacBook Pro’s info?

----Anything that happened on the new MBP prior to the wiping will still be on the other MBP or just on iCloud? Not essential, but curious on this one.

With this process, I assume what happens to the previously shared iCloud documents and files is that those backed up on iCloud from the other MBP M1 stay on iCloud but not appear in the new MBP Desktop & Files; is that correct?

I appreciate insight you can provide on this question.

[Note: Independent backups done regularly.]

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 3:58 PM

Hi Jeanne,

To make sure we're on the same page, does your information on your older Mac still show as expected?

If so, then yes, wiping the new M1 Mac will not have any effect on the old one if you erase and reinstall as outlined here: Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you erase individual files or folders on the new Mac that are synced through iCloud, then they would be deleted from the old Mac as well. Likewise individual files that are created or updated, in the iCloud Drive folder or on the desktop are synced and stored in iCloud.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 3:58 PM in response to Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

To make sure we're on the same page, does your information on your older Mac still show as expected?

If so, then yes, wiping the new M1 Mac will not have any effect on the old one if you erase and reinstall as outlined here: Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If you erase individual files or folders on the new Mac that are synced through iCloud, then they would be deleted from the old Mac as well. Likewise individual files that are created or updated, in the iCloud Drive folder or on the desktop are synced and stored in iCloud.

Cheers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.