Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a visual zoom effect to the beginning of a clip without any fade-in/out

I received a project that was created using Adobe Premiere and was asked to essentially recreate the project as a FCP template. Well... the very first second of the project includes a Zoom-like transition to kind of start the video off with a visual "bang". Like... "coming out of hyper-warp speed" in Star Trek to reveal the host of the show.

When I use the standard FCP Zoom transition, it looks almost perfect. BUT... when you place this fcp transition on the first frames of a project, i.e. with no other clips for it to "cross-fade" between... it takes the first 10-15 frames down to solid black, and "zoom/fades" in from black. I cannot see how I can edit this to show the "zoom" effect, but not start from black.

Also... once I've added this transition to the clip in the timeline, I can see on the transition icon, that there are two little arrows facing each other like...[ >< ]. This seems to me to indicate that the zoom effect goes from: 0 - 100 >< 100 - 0. hence the term... "Transition". I only want to use the last half. I want frame 1 of the clip to be full zoom/blur + full alpha (not fading in)... and then within 1/8th of a second or so, the zoom effect resolves to... clip.

Can anyone help point me in this direction? Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree trying to use a "Transition". Maybe there is just some "zoom" effect.

BTW... I am not new to editing. But I am definitely new to using any kind of visual effects. My only "transitions" have always been fade in, fade out, and cross fades between clips

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:48 AM

2 replies

Adding a visual zoom effect to the beginning of a clip without any fade-in/out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.