Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water spill on 2015 Macbook air screen

I had a student come in and tell me he spilled water on his screen 2 weeks ago and it won't come on now. :) Computer comes on but the screen is really dim. The screen did light up after awhile but had a lot of water damage. I changed out the screen but it is still really dark and flashes from time to time. None of the water marks inside on the logic board were red or even slightly pink. This computer is out of warranty so I was wondering what else I could check on or might need to replace to get it to work. Any suggestions would be helpful.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:16 AM

Many times liquid will never contact the Liquid sensors. You need to look for actual liquid residue and even corrosion on the components. Sometimes corrosion can be very hard to see even when using a magnifier. Both sides of the board must be examined. Even then, some liquid damage may only occur beneath a chip where many chips have solder contacts hidden beneath them. Since you have issues after using another built-in display, it means the Logic Board most likely has some sort of liquid damage. Sometimes it may be possible to remove small amounts of minor corrosion if it has not eaten into the metal or solder joints, but most liquid spills will require replacement of the board. If any connectors have liquid damage, then the board will need to be replaced.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 11:16 AM in response to techgirl2023

Many times liquid will never contact the Liquid sensors. You need to look for actual liquid residue and even corrosion on the components. Sometimes corrosion can be very hard to see even when using a magnifier. Both sides of the board must be examined. Even then, some liquid damage may only occur beneath a chip where many chips have solder contacts hidden beneath them. Since you have issues after using another built-in display, it means the Logic Board most likely has some sort of liquid damage. Sometimes it may be possible to remove small amounts of minor corrosion if it has not eaten into the metal or solder joints, but most liquid spills will require replacement of the board. If any connectors have liquid damage, then the board will need to be replaced.

Feb 10, 2023 11:51 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you. I didn't see any liquid as it was 2 weeks before it was given to me:) I tried switching out with another parts logic board and it came up with a folder with a question mark(HD). The screen was bright though:) I couldn't get it to reimage as I didn't have the correct firmware password for the parts logic board. I was hoping I could reinstall the OS and fix the issue but no luck. I appreciate your help with this..

Water spill on 2015 Macbook air screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.