Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to completely change iTunes match library...

I want to completely lose and then re-load my iTunes match library - luckily my subscription ends next week -- if I let it lapse (cancel it) -- can I -- a week or two later -- sign up anew to iTunes match - and then using a different library from another mac of mine -- can I then sync up the "new" library and playlists etc? I am actually hoping my old iTunes match library will completely "go away" so that I can rejoin and start a new one -- will that work? A possible factor is that I only have one apple account, email address and user name....thanks for any advice Group Mind!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 1:49 AM

Hi,

When iTunes Match expires, Apple usually keeps iCloud Music library for up to 30days. After this the library should be clear except for previous iTunes Store purchases.

However, rather than allow iTunes Match to expire, create a new blank iTunes/ Music library.

Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK).

Firstly make a backup of your existing library and download any music that is in the cloud. Create new library, make sure that you signed in and iCloud music library is active. You will now see your library as it is in the cloud. You can then select all tracks except for iTunes purchases, the delete selected tracks. Your iCloud library will now be empty except for purchases.

Next reopen original library, keep logged into match. You will see that the iCloud status is now removed. All previous metadata is kept. You can then make changes that you want before deciding what tracks you want to add back into iTunes Match.

Next reopen new library. You library will now show added tracks which you can download if necessary.

I personally have my backup library on an external drive and use the library on the computer for streaming.

Ps I am using Apple Music which includes iTunes Match functions.

Jim

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 1:49 AM in response to Blueline18

Hi,

When iTunes Match expires, Apple usually keeps iCloud Music library for up to 30days. After this the library should be clear except for previous iTunes Store purchases.

However, rather than allow iTunes Match to expire, create a new blank iTunes/ Music library.

Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK).

Firstly make a backup of your existing library and download any music that is in the cloud. Create new library, make sure that you signed in and iCloud music library is active. You will now see your library as it is in the cloud. You can then select all tracks except for iTunes purchases, the delete selected tracks. Your iCloud library will now be empty except for purchases.

Next reopen original library, keep logged into match. You will see that the iCloud status is now removed. All previous metadata is kept. You can then make changes that you want before deciding what tracks you want to add back into iTunes Match.

Next reopen new library. You library will now show added tracks which you can download if necessary.

I personally have my backup library on an external drive and use the library on the computer for streaming.

Ps I am using Apple Music which includes iTunes Match functions.

Jim

Want to completely change iTunes match library...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.