Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M2 Touch ID does not work while screen turned off

I faced this really annoying problem on my new MacBook Air M2 - When lid is open and screen turned off (locked) I can't unlock it just by touching scanner like my old MacBook Pro! To unlock I have to press any key/track pad to turn screen on, then I can unlock it by touch ID. Any idea how to fix/configure it?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 2:14 AM

Security

By being forced to hit the space bar or some other key it will present the User Account which is presently being used and Logged into.

Then, to unlock with Fingertip Reader ( Power Button ) your Identity and Ownership of this computer is validated by your fingertip.

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Choose how you want to use Touch ID:

• Unlock your Mac: Use Touch ID to unlock this Mac when you wake it from sleep.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 2:14 AM in response to ij3net

Security

By being forced to hit the space bar or some other key it will present the User Account which is presently being used and Logged into.

Then, to unlock with Fingertip Reader ( Power Button ) your Identity and Ownership of this computer is validated by your fingertip.

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Choose how you want to use Touch ID:

• Unlock your Mac: Use Touch ID to unlock this Mac when you wake it from sleep.

Feb 11, 2023 4:59 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, sounds reasonable, but anyway really stupid and annoying behavior 🤦

At least it should work as some kind of double touch by same key or so... why not turn on screen on power key press and then allow unlock by touch, i. e. release key and only after it allow touch... And seems it's mean that old pro have unresolved security problem 😂

MacBook Air M2 Touch ID does not work while screen turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.