Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost AirTag shows old locations

Two AirTags were apparently removed from our luggage in Auckland, NZ in December 2022. When we got home they appeared at the pier where we disembarked. They appeared to stay there for a few weeks and then started to move. At one point they showed up at Sydney, Australia (Feb 2, 2023). Recently I received a notification they were at Hobart Tasmania (a stop on our cruise) and yesterday I received several notifications that mine was at Christchurch NZ. (I haven’t checked my wife’s AirTag location recently to see if hers is still with mine). I was able tap the notification and open the app to show the new location. I took a screenshot and I verified that the cruise ship was in that port at the same time using “Marine Traffic”. However, the FindMy app quickly changed to reflect the old location again while I was looking at it. It seems like the new locations are not being stored properly by Apple. I tried power cycling my iPhone as indicated elsewhere, but it made no difference. Also my iPad and iPhone show different locations and “last scene” dates for the same AirTag. My iPhone shows January 18 in Auckland New Zealand and my iPad shows Feb 2 in Sydney, Australia.

Clearly this isn’t working correctly. Could time zones and the international dateline be screwing it up?

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 6:15 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 13, 2023 3:55 PM in response to Jaym_8

I am not sure you understand my issue. My wife and I are each missing an AirTag. The updated status of each AirTag occasionally pops up as a notification on our devices. When I touch the notification, it opens up FindMy and briefly displays the current location of the AirTag. After a second or two, the display reverts to the last known location as of January 18th on my iPhone and it reverts to the AirTag’s last know location as of February 2nd on my iPad. I have 8 other AirTags on items that are in three different locations. They all register properly on both my iPad and iPhone. Also, we have a dozen other “devices” and four family members that all show up in the correct locations in FindMy. This issue seems unique to the lost AirTags. I still wonder if it has something to do with the AirTags being in a Timezone that is 17 hours ahead of my own.

Feb 13, 2023 12:27 PM in response to AncientGeek

Hello AncientGeek,

If your the Find My app on your iPhone is not updating to show the same location as your iPad, here's some things you can check:

• In Settings > name at the top > Find My > Find My iPhone, make sure the Find My Network option is turned on. If it is already turned on, turn it off for a few seconds, then back on to refresh the connection.

• In Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services, make sure the Location Services option is turned on.

Locate an AirTag or other item in Find My on iPhone

If the Find My app on the iPhone is still not updating to show the same location as the iPad, you'll want to contact Apple to report the issue: Get Support

Cheers!

Lost AirTag shows old locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.