Air Tag location

i put air tags in luggage to track for a trip. at our connection one showed up and the other showed at a location we had not been nor traveled through. when the luggage arrived at our destination the air tag was found and did update. I have no idea how last seen could be somewhere else after pur flight had departed the area. Maybe a glitch but not reliable. Would have understood if it had just stopped tracking but we never drove through the area and the tags ate new.

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 9:01 AM

AirTags rely on Bluetooth to send the location information to the Apple "Find My" servers. To get there, that signal would need to be picked up by an iPhone (with Find My Network enabled) nearby that has either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet.

As you can imagine, there may be a number of iPhones onboard, but they would have to be powered-on, be near enough to where you luggage is in the cargo hold, and have Internet access. Not always the case. As such, the last known location may be very far off from where the AirTag exists ... until it can again get that signal to Apple.

If knowing where your luggage is at all times, you may want to consider getting a GPS tracking device (which does not rely on Bluetooth.)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2023 9:01 AM in response to alisafromfayetteville

AirTags rely on Bluetooth to send the location information to the Apple "Find My" servers. To get there, that signal would need to be picked up by an iPhone (with Find My Network enabled) nearby that has either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet.

As you can imagine, there may be a number of iPhones onboard, but they would have to be powered-on, be near enough to where you luggage is in the cargo hold, and have Internet access. Not always the case. As such, the last known location may be very far off from where the AirTag exists ... until it can again get that signal to Apple.

If knowing where your luggage is at all times, you may want to consider getting a GPS tracking device (which does not rely on Bluetooth.)

Air Tag location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.