Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing with someone in another city?!

Hi folks,

My niece lives across the country. I'd like to share my Apple TV + subscription with her (and yes, I anticipate additional costs attached). From what I have gleaned so far, it seems that my niece 1) would need an Apple ID - and I'm not sure she has any Apple products; and 2) may not be able to access the subscription without being on the same network. Have I got that right?

Thanks kindly for your consideration of my question.

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 5:29 AM

Your niece would need an Apple ID. That is easy because you can do it online if necessary. Her age may introduce complexities.

This document explains how to create a new Apple ID (create an Apple Account) --> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

OR:

Create an Apple ID for your child - Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

She doesn't have to be on the same Network, just both of you have to have your Apple IDs set to the same country.

Part of this will be using Family Sharing. Make sure you're aware of the details of this, particularly payment responsibilities.

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

If she does not have Apple equipment then she will be limited in her ways to watch Apple TV. How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - Apple Support

As you can see, that's just a brief overview. What exactly needs to be done would depend upon her age, your role in the Family Sharing, etc.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 5:29 AM in response to NorthernAuntie

Your niece would need an Apple ID. That is easy because you can do it online if necessary. Her age may introduce complexities.

This document explains how to create a new Apple ID (create an Apple Account) --> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

OR:

Create an Apple ID for your child - Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

She doesn't have to be on the same Network, just both of you have to have your Apple IDs set to the same country.

Part of this will be using Family Sharing. Make sure you're aware of the details of this, particularly payment responsibilities.

What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

If she does not have Apple equipment then she will be limited in her ways to watch Apple TV. How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more - Apple Support

As you can see, that's just a brief overview. What exactly needs to be done would depend upon her age, your role in the Family Sharing, etc.

Family sharing with someone in another city?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.