Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a new-to-me 2015 iMac. How should I restore from my old 2013 iMac?

Just bought a 2015 iMac that will be running Big Sur.

What's the best way to restore or migrate my data from my old, late 2013 iMac running Catalina?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 1:54 PM

Migration Assistant is probably the best way to move your data from one Mac to another.

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Tip - when you first set up your new Mac, start with a new, unused User Account name. Then migrate your data from the old Mac. When that is successful, you can log into the new Mac with the old User Account name and password and delete the brand new user. Or leave it in place as a second admin account, just in case.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Grusvag

Migration Assistant is probably the best way to move your data from one Mac to another.

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Tip - when you first set up your new Mac, start with a new, unused User Account name. Then migrate your data from the old Mac. When that is successful, you can log into the new Mac with the old User Account name and password and delete the brand new user. Or leave it in place as a second admin account, just in case.

Setting up a new-to-me 2015 iMac. How should I restore from my old 2013 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.