Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for Windows not signing in after failed migration to App 14.1

Did anyone of you upgraded the iCloud for Windows App to the latest version 14.1 offered by the official Microsoft App Store? Before today I was happily using since years this App and I was using the native client version which was made and distributed by Apple, not by Microsoft Store.

Anyway today I wanted to enable the Advanced Security feature on my iPhone SE III running iOS 16.3 and one of the fundamental requirements to proceed was to keep being using the latest version of the iCloud for Windows app. Although my "legacy" already-installed version was distributed by Apple - this version was not attributed as obsolete by the Apple Software Update tool.. so I never thought until now that the Microsoft Store had a more recent version (which is in fact causing me a nightmare...)

I've used the MS Store to pick the 'latest' 14.1, installed ok, run it, I'm filling in the username and password, it shows for a while a little classical gray small ring spinning round (my internet is ok, tested also without VPN..same issue) and than it returns the worse ever error message that non of the IT expert would ever met into their life.... see here below... no words..

I tried really the best ever problem solving, like completely uninstall it, testing separately my username and password (these are ok), restarting pc, re-installing same App from MS Store.. nothing... I'm into a blind box and can't get rid of this trouble..

I'm very very super disappointed by the Apple experience with the Advanced Data Security enabler option introduced with iOS 16.3 because as you can see, I'd love to use it and enable it.. but till now it gave me only problems and pain..

Thank you all for reading me, every feedback is welcome!

Regards,

Diego

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:57 PM

Hello delavega79,

Let's use the steps below to check for possible security software interference:

"How to tell if your security software might be causing an issue

Security software created by companies other than Apple can prevent iCloud for Windows or iTunes from connecting to Apple servers or to devices. Sometimes, you might see a numeric error message when you sync, update, back up, or restore your device.

If your security software is causing an issue with iCloud for Windows

• You can't sign in with your Apple ID.
  • You see "Verification Failed: An unknown error occurred" or "An error occurred during authentication. Please try again." 
  • You see "Your setup couldn't start because your username or password is incorrect" or "Your setup couldn't be started because the iCloud server stopped responding."
  • iCloud services won't update. 

Things to check first

Before you change your security software's setup: 

Test your connectivity

1. Check your hosts file to make sure that it's not blocking iTunes from communicating with Apple's servers.
  2. If you’re having issues using AirPlay, Home Sharing, iTunes, or Remote, test the connectivity between the computers or devices in your house. They should be connected to the same network and subnet in order to function properly.

Test your security software

If you still have trouble after you test your connectivity, your security software could be interfering with your computer's connection with iCloud for Windows or iTunes.

In some cases, it might be necessary to temporarily remove your security software to isolate an issue. Some Internet security apps don’t uninstall completely, so you might need to download and run a cleanup utility for your security software for it to be completely removed.

Work with your security software provider to allow the complete list of ports and services that Apple products use or if you need help with uninstalling their software.

"

Resolve issues between iCloud for Windows or iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 3:57 PM in response to delavega79

Hello delavega79,

Let's use the steps below to check for possible security software interference:

"How to tell if your security software might be causing an issue

Security software created by companies other than Apple can prevent iCloud for Windows or iTunes from connecting to Apple servers or to devices. Sometimes, you might see a numeric error message when you sync, update, back up, or restore your device.

If your security software is causing an issue with iCloud for Windows

• You can't sign in with your Apple ID.
  • You see "Verification Failed: An unknown error occurred" or "An error occurred during authentication. Please try again." 
  • You see "Your setup couldn't start because your username or password is incorrect" or "Your setup couldn't be started because the iCloud server stopped responding."
  • iCloud services won't update. 

Things to check first

Before you change your security software's setup: 

Test your connectivity

1. Check your hosts file to make sure that it's not blocking iTunes from communicating with Apple's servers.
  2. If you’re having issues using AirPlay, Home Sharing, iTunes, or Remote, test the connectivity between the computers or devices in your house. They should be connected to the same network and subnet in order to function properly.

Test your security software

If you still have trouble after you test your connectivity, your security software could be interfering with your computer's connection with iCloud for Windows or iTunes.

In some cases, it might be necessary to temporarily remove your security software to isolate an issue. Some Internet security apps don’t uninstall completely, so you might need to download and run a cleanup utility for your security software for it to be completely removed.

Work with your security software provider to allow the complete list of ports and services that Apple products use or if you need help with uninstalling their software.

"

Resolve issues between iCloud for Windows or iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support

Cheers.

iCloud for Windows not signing in after failed migration to App 14.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.