Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panasonic RW2 Files from S5 Mark II not working

Hi All! I received new camera today, however I can not open the RW2 files with Preview or with any other app (Lightroom/Photoshop). Is this a mac specific issue?

If so would love to know when this would be updated, as not having raw functionality is a bit pointless with this camera. I could shoot in raw and JPEG mode, but removes the ability of editing the files in the lossless format.

Thank you

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon 2023

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 7:29 AM

The DC-S5 is supported in macOS Ventura 13.2, and the S5 mark II is not. So, no Finder, Quick Look, or Preview support yet. Only Apple and Panasonic know if, or when this camera will be incorporated into Apple's camera RAW support, and the possible timeframe for that support.

The following is a living document, so as new updates for Ventura arrive, review this link to see if S5 Mark II support has been added.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support

Adobe DNG Converter 15.1.1 (current) shows this S5 Mark II RW2 image as an unsupported format. It may be too new for other Adobe products.

I can extract the internal EXIF/IPTC metadata from this camera's image using my PyObjC application and Apple's frameworks.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 7:29 AM in response to ProTharan

The DC-S5 is supported in macOS Ventura 13.2, and the S5 mark II is not. So, no Finder, Quick Look, or Preview support yet. Only Apple and Panasonic know if, or when this camera will be incorporated into Apple's camera RAW support, and the possible timeframe for that support.

The following is a living document, so as new updates for Ventura arrive, review this link to see if S5 Mark II support has been added.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura - Apple Support

Adobe DNG Converter 15.1.1 (current) shows this S5 Mark II RW2 image as an unsupported format. It may be too new for other Adobe products.

I can extract the internal EXIF/IPTC metadata from this camera's image using my PyObjC application and Apple's frameworks.

Feb 12, 2023 7:21 AM in response to ProTharan

ProTharan wrote:

Is this a mac specific issue?

No. It's a the camera is too new issue.

If so would love to know when this would be updated, as not having raw functionality is a bit pointless with this camera. I could shoot in raw and JPEG mode, but removes the ability of editing the files in the lossless format.

There's no way to know when or if the camera will be supported. I wouldn't expect it to be supported until the next version of macOS that follows Ventura.

What I can say is XnView MP will open it and can save it in a format that is usable.

Panasonic RW2 Files from S5 Mark II not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.