Previewing Fujifilm X100VI RAW files

RAF files from the new camera (Fujifilm X100VI) cannot be previewed in MacOS Ventura. This is affecting my work flow heavily. I have read elsewhere that previously users have had to wait for months. Will this also be the case?

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 4:28 AM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2024 5:48 AM in response to Gloncher

No one knows what plans, if any, Apple have for adding raw support for particular camera models. But two things can be said with reasonable confidence: 1. Adding raw support is not a particular priority for Apple these days, and so yes, you may have to wait months. 2. Raw support is added only to the current OS, so it will never be added for Ventura for this camera.

Alternatives: use a 3rd party app with undefended raw support. Most serious photography apps come into this category. Or convert the file to DNG using Adobe's free converter.

Mar 1, 2024 8:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

Another alternative is to use the manufacturer's own software. For my Nikon Z5, I use Nikon's free NXStudio to import RAW files, work on them for what that does best, and then export them as high quality jpegs to Photos to continue doing what Photos does best. Frankly, Photos will never offer for RAW files some of the adjustments that the native software allows.

May 7, 2024 8:10 AM in response to Gloncher

I am using Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1. It seems that the Photos app doesn't read uncompressed raw file from Fujifilm x 100 vi either even after the latest firmware update in April 24. I can use the Fujifilm Raw Studio but frankly, its editing ability is tedious and limited. It will be helpful if I can import uncompressed raw file from my X100vi camera into the photo app to view and do edits. I watch from youtube (ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtjuq2ixWI) that this is possible with raw files ( presumably uncompressed) of other Fujifilm camera. Hopefully, this is sorted out soon, or if there is another work around without using third party raw file editor, please let me know.

May 8, 2024 5:16 PM in response to Gloncher

I have found a workaround. I download the Fujifilm lossless compressed RAF files into folder on my Mac. I then batch convert all the .RAF files in the folder into .DNG file using Adobe DNG Converter. I Downloaded the app using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html#:~:text=The%20Adobe%20DNG%20Converter%2C%20a,more%20universal%20DNG%20raw%20file.

Once I have converted the .RAF files to .DNG files, I then import them into the Photos app using the import function. Mac Photos can now read them and I can edit the .DNG files. Its an extra step but the conversion is pretty quick so this is not a hassle at all.

Previewing Fujifilm X100VI RAW files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.