Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fujifilm xt3 RAW file preview not available in Finder

I have just purchased a Fujifilm XT3 camera. I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I download my files with a card reader (not straight from camera). I can see the files OK but it doesn't display a thumbnail view as with my other cameras. It is not a major disaster but it is a nuisance. Any suggestions please?

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 11:59 PM

Ok the problem with the Thumbnails is due to the default preferences set in Adobe DNG Converter.

Open the Converter and go to Section 4 and click on Change Preferences.

At the top is Compatibility, there is a drop down menu where you can select the backwards compatibility of

the dng files created, it is set by default as Camera Raw 11.2 or later which will not display as thumbnails in Sierra, for me I have it set at Camera Raw 6.6 or later. You may want to experiment, just use one of your Fuji RAW files as an experiment and put it in a folder. Use the dng converter on the one file at one of the Compatibility settings and see if you can see the thumbnail when it has converted. May take a couple of tries but you will get there.

As for upgrading your macOS, well that is an option, if your Mac can run Sierra it can run High Sierra which is

still available, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support and the next one up is Mojave

which depending on what Mac and year it is may or not be able to install it.

Upgrade to macOS Mojave - Official Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

macOS Catalina 10.15 was released recently, the latest version of macOS.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned that it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 11:59 PM in response to heatherprince

Ok the problem with the Thumbnails is due to the default preferences set in Adobe DNG Converter.

Open the Converter and go to Section 4 and click on Change Preferences.

At the top is Compatibility, there is a drop down menu where you can select the backwards compatibility of

the dng files created, it is set by default as Camera Raw 11.2 or later which will not display as thumbnails in Sierra, for me I have it set at Camera Raw 6.6 or later. You may want to experiment, just use one of your Fuji RAW files as an experiment and put it in a folder. Use the dng converter on the one file at one of the Compatibility settings and see if you can see the thumbnail when it has converted. May take a couple of tries but you will get there.

As for upgrading your macOS, well that is an option, if your Mac can run Sierra it can run High Sierra which is

still available, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support and the next one up is Mojave

which depending on what Mac and year it is may or not be able to install it.

Upgrade to macOS Mojave - Official Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

macOS Catalina 10.15 was released recently, the latest version of macOS.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina be warned that it does not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/. Once the list has been created you can then

contact the developers of the apps to see if they provide 64bit updates. 

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Nov 8, 2019 5:01 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have jut had a look at the DPReview Gallery and downloaded a couple of RAW files and they open fine,

I'll include screenshots of Finders Preview panel. The RAW files from the Fuji X-T3 have to be Uncompressed RAW only

for macOS to read them. Perhaps you have been unlucky and downloaded Compressed RAW files. You could locate the two files I downloaded to try and see if your OS can 'see' them.

Nov 6, 2019 10:53 PM in response to heatherprince

If you are on macOS Sierra and the Fuji XT3 camera was released after that OS was released then the RAW database

will not include it. Apple does not update the RAW databases in its older OS's, only the current one which is now Catalina.

To check which cameras your OS supports go to About This Mac, click on System Report, go to

Software and then RAW Support, see if the Fuji XT3 is included. If it is then make sure the RAW files you are taking

are Uncompressed RAW.

If it is not supported you can use Adobes DNG Converter, it is free, this will convert your Fujis RAW files to Adobes

dmg format which you will be able to see/ open in your Apple apps.

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6787

Nov 8, 2019 8:01 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for all of your help Eau Rouge. I downloaded the DNG convertor version that you recommended and it does open the files but does not display them as thumbnails of the image on the file. I do shoot RAW uncompressed by the way. It looks like my MAC OS Sierra may be just too out of date for this newly released camera. This is not a disaster as my RAW files open in Camera RAW without trouble and I can work on them as usual. It's just that viewing them as thumbnails in Finder makes deleting unwanted files that much easier. I may have to give serious thought to updating my OS. I have been reading reviews on Catalina and I'm not yet prepared to educate myself through all the changes so I will have to be patient for now.

Many thanks, Heather

Nov 9, 2019 7:44 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Yee Ha!!! That worked. Changed the DNG Converter as you suggested. That makes things easier.

Just one more thing before I go - I decided I may as well upgrade to High Sierra but when I went to the App Store following your directions I got this message:

"This copy of the install macOS High Sierra application is damaged and can't be used to install macOS"

Am I in the wrong place?

Fujifilm xt3 RAW file preview not available in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.