Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete photos just from my mac

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 7:40 AM

If you are using iCloud to synchronize your libraries, then deleting a picture from the Mac will delete it from all other devices, and deleting a picture from your phone will delete it from all other devices. iCloud is a synchronizing service, so what you do to one automatically happens to the others connected to it.

If you're not using iCloud synchronization, then the devices are independent from each other.

If space is a problem, you can save space on your Mac by choosing "Optimize Mac Storage" in Photos Settings (or Preferences.) This will store smaller resolution images on your Mac (they'll look the same) while the full resolution images will always be available through iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 7:40 AM in response to enzo735

If you are using iCloud to synchronize your libraries, then deleting a picture from the Mac will delete it from all other devices, and deleting a picture from your phone will delete it from all other devices. iCloud is a synchronizing service, so what you do to one automatically happens to the others connected to it.

If you're not using iCloud synchronization, then the devices are independent from each other.

If space is a problem, you can save space on your Mac by choosing "Optimize Mac Storage" in Photos Settings (or Preferences.) This will store smaller resolution images on your Mac (they'll look the same) while the full resolution images will always be available through iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.