Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app not working on MacOS Catalina

I'm having no luck with the Home app working on my Mac. I can open the app but then nothing but a link on how to add accessories that takes you to the Apple site. I tried the App Store and couldn't find it either. Does anybody know how I can fix this? I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 for reference.

iMac

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 7:32 PM

The Home app for Mac is not available in the App Store. I believe it's bundled into the macOS.

The App Store for iOS has the app for iPhone and iPad.

Please see this support doc for Home app setup:

Add an accessory to the Home app - Apple Support

Before you can take advantage of the app you must set up a location/rooms and add devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 7:32 PM in response to trjc3rd

The Home app for Mac is not available in the App Store. I believe it's bundled into the macOS.

The App Store for iOS has the app for iPhone and iPad.

Please see this support doc for Home app setup:

Add an accessory to the Home app - Apple Support

Before you can take advantage of the app you must set up a location/rooms and add devices.

Feb 12, 2023 7:53 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Yea, I knew that but I thought they'd have older versions of it available for older Mac owners. I have the Home app setup on my iPad and my iPhone already and they run flawlessly. I was hoping to get the app for my iMac, which Apple Support said I should be able to run it, but it looks like the gods are against me. Why would Apple put software on a computer that you can't upgrade even though the operating system still supports it?

Anyway, thank you D.I. for your reply tp my issue, it was much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2023 6:42 PM in response to trjc3rd

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the app. I have it running just fine on my 2013 iMac.

The setup must be done on your iPhone or iPad, and the Mac then syncs to your Home setup via iCloud.

Please see: How to set up and start using the Home app on Mac – iMore

From the link...

"To get your HomeKit accessories in the Home app on Mac, you'll need to sign in to your Apple ID, have iCloud Keychain and Two-Factor Authentication on, and Home enabled in iCloud Settings. Both iOS and your Mac should also be running the latest software version."

Home app not working on MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.