You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in the Notes app doesn’t work

I'm active Notes user, and one day out of the blue, I found search in the Notes app doesn’t work anymore. I read about numerous similar cases, some people told they solved it via turning on-off Notes sync with iCloud and reboot between it (it didn't help me), or via turning off Siri and search switches in Notes app settings (it didn't help me as well). Personally for me this issue revealed after I updated my iPhone from 15.x to iOS 16.1 or 16.2, following updates didn't solve the issue. Also I read that people started facing with it back 4 years ago, so it is not a fresh issue, and Apple can't fix it for years. Shame on you Apple, it is so frustrating!

Besides that I noticed that recent years there is consistently decreasing quality of Apple's software, especially iOS and its components (mac OS always was super unreliable and glitchy so nothing new here). Numerous really disturbing issues revealed gradually during the recent years. I am not going to list all of these issues I faced with here, because I don't have enough time, and I don't want to work for free as a QA engineer for you in my personal time.

But this issue was the last straw of my patience.

I was a loyal user of Apple, I'm using iPhone starting iPhone 4 back in 2011, and all these years used your products. But considering what I described above, considering your useless "support", I've decided my next phone will be some Android device, and bought it yesterday. It is not because I love Android and willing to use it, it is because your products became absolutely unpredictable and unreliable even in its basic features like Notes, AirDrop etc.

Bad bye Apple. I wish you eventually lose your share of market with your unreliable and overpriced products.

iPhone XS

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 1:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 7:19 PM

i noticed notes completely lost it's search function after the ios 17 upgrade.. doesn't even work on desktop macos sonoma.. even after refreshing the icloud connectivity with notes.. this is not good, heavy user of notes! Is this a bug??

Similar questions

69 replies

Oct 18, 2023 7:43 AM in response to Kee_Reel

I'm a longtime / heavy Notes + iCloud user, and this is starting to drive me insane. As others have commented, in olden times I could drop a word or phrase into the search box inside notes on macOS / iOS and get every relevant result in moments.

Today however, (macOS Sonoma + iOS 17.0.3) search results in Notes are totally unreliable. For instance, I just searched for my manager's name and it returned a few random notes I took during meetings weeks ago, but not the two notes containing my log of our most recent meetings last week - I had to manually scroll through the list searching for them visually.

This is super frustrating, and is making me reconsider my move from Evernote years ago. I really really hope Apple fixes this!

Nov 22, 2023 7:38 AM in response to Kee_Reel

I’ve had tons of issues with Apple in the past 6 months, but this one takes the cake (and is possibly the last straw for me). I am a songwriter and have relied heavily on Notes for 6+ years since I’m constantly on the go.

I just updated to iOS 17, and now, I cannot search through my thousands of notes. This is impacting my ability to efficiently go back to old projects and resume working on them/send them to other artists.

Nobody needed this new AI implementation for searching thru notes. it’s a notes app for Pete’s sake, it should be simple and impossible to break. So disappointed right now.

Dec 11, 2023 6:09 AM in response to Kee_Reel

I'm in a similar boat in that I noticed recently (as of early December 2023) that searching for a keyword in my notes was only returning a fraction of the results I was expecting on my iPhone 12 and Macbook Air (M1), both with updated software. I keep everything in iCloud (i.e., not saved locally on either device). But it works perfectly if you put quotes around the search term (e.g., "Mike"). Search also seems to work perfectly without quotes on icloud.com. Agree that this is a strange bug and should be fixed.

Feb 13, 2023 5:38 AM in response to SravanKrA

All my notes are from my iCloud account.

I don't have any 3rd party mailboxes connected to my Mail iOS app.

I haven't lost any notes (yet), all the notes are here.

But search through all the notes doesn't work. It is the same issue users described here Search in the Notes app doesn’t always wo… - Apple Community

but in my case it is not "doesn't always work" but "always doesn't work".

I read all the topic link for which I've shared above, and there is still no solution for this bug. So I don't expect that it will be solved right now, after my post, since it was not solved for years.

People just should know, how bad Apple products are. The users suffering from Apple's low quality and unreliable products should be heard, should not keep silence, otherwise situation will never change, and Apple will continue to deliver useless bells and whistles in their software products instead of dedicating enough resources for bug fixing and bug proof approaches.

Nov 1, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Mefck9999999

Not sure, but one thing I did before upgrading to 17.1 was I went to Settings/Messages/Siri & Search. I then turned off all 7 buttons. I turned off my iPhone for a few minutes. Turned it back on, went back and turned on all of those 7 buttons. It may have been the fix.

Also, just fyi. I just searched for a word in a photo that is in a note and it found it. I searched for “Duron” and it found a note where I had taken a picture of a paint can. The word was not written anywhere else in the note. It was only in the image.

Hope that helps you.

Nov 20, 2023 5:50 PM in response to Kee_Reel

My Notes app also does not search on my brand new mac studio. I fixed it once (last week) by clearing the caches folder in the hidden libraries directory, but the issue has returned and clearing the caches is not helping.

All of my notes exist on icloud and work perfectly on my phone, macbook and other mac machines. Here is a screenshot of me searching for the letter "A" with no results...

(but I disagree about apple stock, I hope it continues to rise :)

Jan 22, 2024 8:01 AM in response to Kee_Reel

I had the same thing with macOS Sonoma.

The solution mentioned in this thread worked for me:

• System Settings > Siri & Spotlight
  • Turn off a bunch of checkboxes, I turned them all off other than Applications, which is the only category I want Spotlight search for anyway
  • Close Notes
  • Open Notes

Then search-across-notes started working again.

Nov 29, 2023 4:49 AM in response to Kee_Reel

I'm on Sonoma 14.1.1 and iOS 17.1.1 and experiencing the same unreliable search results on both. I'll type in a word and it will just return some results that has the word in it, but not all.

A "workaround" I found is search results seem to work how I expect using notes via icloud.com.

But hope they fix Sonoma and iOS soon, I just finished moving everything from Evernote as I wanted something simpler and more reliable :(

Search in the Notes app doesn’t work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.