Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this screen format?? Make it stop!

My IPad Pro started showing this screen when I open a new app.

The new app opens in this new format, not full screen, and I either have to use the 3 dots at the top or the little logo in the bottom right corner of the new app to make it full screen.

You cannot swipe the open app ⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ but tapping one of the small ones on the left will switch to it but it will still not be full screen.

To get out of this screen completely I have to swipe up from bottom to get the app changer before I can do anything else.

Is this new or something I’ve turned on by mistake and is there a way to turn this off?

It is very, very, very annoying.

I just want an app to open full screen when I push it… not get the choices of the apps I have open.

I do have the latest update… I assume this is something someone thought was brilliant but is just aggravating.

I await all your knowledgeable advice.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:26 PM

You have enabled the new Stage Manager feature. This can be simply disabled from iPad settings - restoring the regular multitasking mode.

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

More information about Stage Manager can be found within the [often overlooked] iPad User Guide. Here is a direct link to the relevant section of the Guide:

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 3:26 PM in response to Boy_inthe_city

You have enabled the new Stage Manager feature. This can be simply disabled from iPad settings - restoring the regular multitasking mode.

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

More information about Stage Manager can be found within the [often overlooked] iPad User Guide. Here is a direct link to the relevant section of the Guide:

Move, resize, and organize windows with Stage Manager on iPad - Apple Support

What is this screen format?? Make it stop!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.