Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Messages (Mail and Texts) do not show Read across devices

My devices used to sync read messages across each other. Recently that stopped happening. Now when I read an email or text message on my iPhone it still appears as unread on my Mac.

Running IOS 16.3.1 and Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1.

I've confirmed that I've turned on iMessage to sync via iCloud.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 6:30 AM

Argh. MacBook and iPhone not syncing "read" status.

I'm having the same problem. Email messages between MacBook Pro (14inch, Ventura 13.4) not syncing read status with iPhone 13 Pro(iOS 16.5). Apple please fix. Major negative impact on my business. Thank you.

13 replies

Mar 8, 2023 11:53 AM in response to jschuite

Hi. I have the same issue while running iOS 16 and Mac OS Ventura, the latest versions. It happens with both Exchange and a Gmail accounts. It must be a system issue. I have had lengthy chats with Apple support. We tried Safe Mode on the Mac to no avail. Now they tell me to call in and ask for senior support. I haven’t had time for it yet.

PS And yes, I did restart several times both devices: no change. That is just wishful thinking that the problem might go away with restart.

Apr 9, 2023 7:43 AM in response to Xyba25

Hi! Has anyone figured another solution (without the "pain")? This is definitively a system issue: I believe one of the OS or iOS updates has started the no-sync situation. It is time for Apple to figure it out. I have called several times the help desk but they have no idea. What is needed is that more of us report the situation for them to take it seriously.

May 22, 2023 9:55 PM in response to jschuite

This is happening to my email . This is my business email and I have several users link to the same email. Its really frustrating that we dont know what is read and unread. This issue is making my employess unable to work on go. We have to wait until we get back to one computer to stay up to date with the read and unread messages.

Mail is also not keeping track of replies on mobile devices.

This is extremely frustrating as %99.9 of our business is ran by email. APPLE PLEASE HELP AND FIX. I would really appreciate.

Feb 15, 2023 4:39 PM in response to jschuite

Hi jschuite,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand that messages and emails are shown as read from Mac. Since both devices are updated, make sure both have been restarted. When you restart, all the processes restart. If there’s a software-related issue, restarting a device can sometimes resolve it. To address Messages syncing to Mac, on your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding turn it off and back on.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

For email, on iPhone, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > select the email account and turn off the button for mail and turn it back on.

Regards.

May 25, 2023 6:49 AM in response to jschuite

I have the problem from about 2-3 YEARS!!, I sent many emails to tech support but doesn’t seem to work anything, I read emails at MacBook and when I see the iPad or iPhone aren’t the same marked as read, so you might imagine the frustration because I mostly control the emails that I want to read after so I left as “unread” but later, take the iPad at home and instead of have for instance 10 emails, shows 40, obviously 30 already read at iPhone o MacBook!!

my problem is just email, no messages

Yes, my MacBook is late 2011 with High Sierra and iPhone and iPad with the latest iOS, might think the problem is the MacBook, BUT the problem is the same if I read at iPhone and then open iPad, so without using the MacBook

the problem is intermittently, some times sync, and sometimes dont

Jan 8, 2024 9:24 AM in response to jschuite

Was hoping the latest update on iphone (17.2.1) and and latest Sonoma would fix, but it's not. One clue to when things started to go wrong was when I did the latest Sonoma update, I had to re-add cards to the wallet. Seems like since then (which has to do with cloud-based settings..) read receipts are not working. I also have times when mail on the phone hangs and will not download new mesages for hours and sometimes 1/2 a day or so.

Messages (Mail and Texts) do not show Read across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.