Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade my current Catalina to Monterey software

I am trying to update and upgrade my current Catalina to Monterey software .. every time I go to system preference then to software update .. keep checking for updates and nothing showing up. It keeps searching with no results

how can I do it ?

iMac 27″

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 5:44 AM

Visit the Apple () menu > About This Mac. On that panel look at what is within the parenthesis on the product description line for your iMac. Compare that to the Mac hardware that can upgrade to Monterey:

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If your iMac is not on that list, then compare it to:

macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If your iMac cannot upgrade to either operating system, then you are stuck at Catalina. Otherwise you can get the compatible version of macOS at How to download macOS - Apple Support. I recommend using the Safari browser, and the downloaded installer will deposit in your /Applications folder.

Before you upgrade beyond Catalina, back up your iMac one last time on Catalina, and save (do not reuse) that Time Machine drive on the newly upgraded operating system. Verify that your third-party applications and printer/scanners are supported on the upgraded operating system beforehand.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2023 5:44 AM in response to bassam247

Visit the Apple () menu > About This Mac. On that panel look at what is within the parenthesis on the product description line for your iMac. Compare that to the Mac hardware that can upgrade to Monterey:

macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If your iMac is not on that list, then compare it to:

macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

If your iMac cannot upgrade to either operating system, then you are stuck at Catalina. Otherwise you can get the compatible version of macOS at How to download macOS - Apple Support. I recommend using the Safari browser, and the downloaded installer will deposit in your /Applications folder.

Before you upgrade beyond Catalina, back up your iMac one last time on Catalina, and save (do not reuse) that Time Machine drive on the newly upgraded operating system. Verify that your third-party applications and printer/scanners are supported on the upgraded operating system beforehand.

upgrade my current Catalina to Monterey software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.