Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iPhone to external drive only WITHOUT MAC or PC

I was hoping to find a solution that DID NOT involve a MAC or PC in order to backup an iPhone. I would like to backup an iPhone using and external HDD or a USB thumb drive as the only device. Like I have done with Android devices. Any help or idea would be welcomed.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2023 11:52 AM

When you make an iCloud Backup, the file is encrypted and stored in iCloud. It is not possible to export it. You can make a local Backup - this requires a Mac or PC, however. But after it is made, you will have the option of exporting it and saving it safely on an external hard drive for later use.

You can find more information about this here:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2023 11:52 AM in response to ComputerMagus

When you make an iCloud Backup, the file is encrypted and stored in iCloud. It is not possible to export it. You can make a local Backup - this requires a Mac or PC, however. But after it is made, you will have the option of exporting it and saving it safely on an external hard drive for later use.

You can find more information about this here:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Feb 15, 2023 12:26 PM in response to ComputerMagus

You're welcome.

Yes, Apple's eco system is a bit more restrictive in relation to personal data and what you can do with it. But welcome to the "team", I'm sure you'll be happy about it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.