Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Face ID Failing After Installing iOS 16.3.1

About 36 hrs after upgrading my iPhone 11 to iOS 16.3.1 Face ID stopped working. Until then Face ID had always worked flawlessly. It refused to unlock the phone and forced me to enter the passcode to unlock it. I tried cleaning the notch, retrying unlock, nothing helped. After several failed unlock attempts I got a message saying "Face ID unavailable, try again later".

Eventually I tried resetting Face ID and tried to set it up again, but during the face scan process I got the Face ID not available, try again later message. I then tried restarting the phone and went back into Face ID setup and it failed again, but on the second or third attempt it suddenly worked and I could complete the Face ID setup process. From then on Face ID was working again. For about 24 hrs. Then it just stopped working again (this time I didn't get the unavailable, try again later message, it just wouldn't unlock).

This time I powered the iPhone off and on again and it still failed to unlock without the passcode a few times, but then suddenly started working again for no obvious reason.

I guess it could be an intermittent h/w issue, but I'm suspicious that iOS 16.3.1 may be causing the problem, has anyone else encountered issues with Face ID after updating to 16.3.1?

I'm also curious about the meaning of the message "Face ID unavailable, try again later" and what sort of issue(s) would trigger that? What sort of problem would cause Face ID to fail temporarily and waiting a while might resolve? Temperature or something?

iPhone 11

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 3:48 AM

I have 2 iPhones 11 pro max and Face ID stopped working on both of them now. I tried all the solutions with no success . I am certain that the latest iOS update 16.3.1 is the cause .

I also have a few friends with the same phones that just mentioned to me that they have the same issue .

I hope a new update is released soon to fix this important issue

Similar questions

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 3:48 AM in response to David Shanahan

I have 2 iPhones 11 pro max and Face ID stopped working on both of them now. I tried all the solutions with no success . I am certain that the latest iOS update 16.3.1 is the cause .

I also have a few friends with the same phones that just mentioned to me that they have the same issue .

I hope a new update is released soon to fix this important issue

Feb 24, 2023 11:06 AM in response to David Shanahan

Exact same issue on an iPhone13 Pro. Zero issues with FaceID, within a day of installing 16.3.1, it stopped recognizing my face. Restarted and reset Face ID, can't even create a new FaceID, it just keeps telling me to move my camera up and down even though my face is in the box - it never starts scanning.

No damage to the phone, nothing covering the cameras, the front is pristine.

Mar 17, 2023 3:25 AM in response to David Shanahan

Ok, took the phone into Apple today and they ran a swag of tests on it and finally declared the issue with Face ID was due to faulty Face ID sensors. The battery passed testing and the recommended action was to replace the Face ID sensor module. As this was going to cost more than A$300 I decided not to proceed.

So in the end this problem turned out to not be related to iOS 16.3.1 (coincidences do happen) nor was it caused by a flakey battery, it was a Face ID sensor hardware fault. ☹️

Mar 15, 2023 1:48 PM in response to jptrek77

Who said Face ID worked previously when the battery had only 10% charge? I'm not sure I ever used Face ID with such a low charge, even when its battery capacity was a lot better than the current 83%. What I said was that recently it claimed to only have 10% charge left after a restart when I knew it was near 100% charged, the subsequent restart showed that was correct, the 10% low battery warning was spurious (and may well indicate the battery is failing, even with 83% capacity).

As I've already said, I wiped the phone and reconfigured it as new, it made no difference to this problem.

As I see it there are three possible explanations for the Face ID problem with my phone:

1. The iOS 16.3.1 update stuffed something up. Initially I thought this was the most likely cause, but now I'm not so sure.
  2. There's a h/w fault in the Face ID cameras/sensors.
  3. The battery is nearly worn out and is sometimes unable to provide enough power to make Face ID work reliably. iOS battery health setting shows it has 83% capacity, which is close to the usual 80% "replace the battery" level and it has recently given a spurious "low battery" warning message. Sounds like this battery may need replacing.

I'm taking the phone into Apple to have it checked, then I'll know if it's 2 or 3. If it's 2 then I won't get it fixed as that will cost more than the phone is worth, if it's 3 then I'll probably pay Apple's outrageous new price to have the battery replaced and see if that fixes the Face ID problem. If it doesn't then the problem must be 1 and it's🤞iOS 16.4 fixes the problem.

Mar 5, 2023 9:52 AM in response to David Shanahan

I am so glad I am not the only one having these issues after downloading iOS 16.3.1.

iPhone 12 Pro.

When I finally got to where I was able to reset my FaceID, it kept telling me to position my face within the frame, lower iPhone. My hair was completely out of the camera sight before it noticed anything and wanted me to proceed. Not once could I use FaceID after I reset it, multiple times actually.

Before iOS 16.3.1, FaceID worked pretty good. There were a few times where it wouldn’t work in the daytime, though.

Feb 16, 2023 2:52 AM in response to David Shanahan

If you're sure that nothing (cover, screen protector, dirt) interferes with your front camera, see this support article:--> If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro and/or this one:--> If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro

If, after performing all the steps provided in the above support articles, the issue persists, contact Apple Support directly, using this specific link:--> Apple Support , or make an appointment and have your device inspected at an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) among this list:--> Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector. After checking it out, they'll give you all the available options.

Regards

Giulio

Apr 27, 2023 12:21 PM in response to Jazza1811

Jazza1811 wrote: "Yes, original battery. 76% maximum capacity."

Jazza ~ 76% is weak and is to be expected in an iPhone X original battery after so many charging cycles. Your screenshot indicates that the battery is "significantly degraded". (Apple recommends replacing the battery at around 80%.) The long process of applying an iOS update to an old iPhone with a weak battery can be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." – and that's probably what happened to yours. So have the degraded, aging battery replaced and all will (probably) be well:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Mar 8, 2023 3:11 PM in response to x-gamer177

x-gamer177 wrote: "I have the exact same issue, I have a iphone x from 6 years which was working fine until i updated to 16.3.1 and face id stopped working and won't let me reset..... I am not sure why I need to spend money now to get this fixed when my phone was working fine and a software update from apple broke it"

x-gamer ~ The long process of applying an iOS update to an old iPhone X with a weak battery can be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." So...

Does it still have its original battery?

And what's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging

õ¿õ¬

Mar 12, 2023 5:12 AM in response to David Shanahan

Whoops, I hadn't been monitoring this thread as I was busy with my new iPhone 14 (on which Face ID is working just fine with 16.3.1). Sorry.

I eventually decided the problems with Face ID on my iPhone 11 must be a (worsening) hardware error as it seemed to be happening more frequently day by day and although restarting the phone usually fixed it the problem always recurred a few hours later (sometimes less). But now, seeing how many others are having the same issue after installing 16.3.1, I'm beginning to wonder if I was a bit hasty...

I've wiped the iPhone 11 but still have it. I'll set it up as a new phone and see if the Face ID problem still happens and report back.

Mar 12, 2023 5:26 AM in response to David Shanahan

David Shanahan wrote: "I had the battery replaced by Apple a bit over a year ago, it's currently at around 83%."

83% is close to Apple's 80% for replacing the battery. If everything was functioning normally, you wouldn't replace the battery at this point. But since there's the Face ID problem, consider taking the iPhone to Apple to test the battery.

õ¿õ¬

Face ID Failing After Installing iOS 16.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.