Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fitness, heart rate, and workout apps stopped working last night (2/15/2023), watch series 4

Yesterday evening, after I took my watch off the charger, the fitness app stopped logging any activity. I didn't notice until bedtime, at which point I restarted the watch. After the restart, the fitness app shows nothing. Just a black screen when I start it. I've tried just restarting the app. Nothing. I've updated the watch (now at watch OS 9.3.1). Nothing.

The heart rate app has no history, and won't take a reading.

The workout app starts a workout (and reads my heart rate!), but dies when I end the workout. The usual summary screen appears, but the app dies before I can scroll to the end to hit the Dismiss button.

All of the other watch functions seem to be working normally. Just not these three apps. Which are very important to me!

I've also updated my phone (now at iOS 16.3.1, iPhone 11 Pro). Same behavior.

Any hints?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 3:28 PM

Ideally you should have updated the iphone first and the Watch straight after.

If all settings seem normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies...

First force restart the Watch 

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then, although it may seem irrelevant, while it is restarting Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it. If it is still misbehaving... Unpair and set up again

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

and then 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

If you've completed that troubleshooting and the issue is still not resolved, Contact Support. 

Click here > Contact - Official Apple Support

or phone numbers  

Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

and or 

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2023 3:28 PM in response to DotMacAlias

Ideally you should have updated the iphone first and the Watch straight after.

If all settings seem normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies...

First force restart the Watch 

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then, although it may seem irrelevant, while it is restarting Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it. If it is still misbehaving... Unpair and set up again

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

and then 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

If you've completed that troubleshooting and the issue is still not resolved, Contact Support. 

Click here > Contact - Official Apple Support

or phone numbers  

Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

and or 

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Feb 16, 2023 7:41 PM in response to LD150

I had to do the unpair/erase and set up. Life seems to be good again. Pain in the butt, but cheaper than a new watch.

I understand that I should update the phone before the watch. Keep in mind that the issues started before any updates. The watch update was an attempt to fix the issue. Next time I'll check for a phone update first no matter the reason for the watch update; neither device had indicated that there was an update available until I asked.

Despite my frustration, please know that I truly appreciate your very complete and clear response. Thank you!

fitness, heart rate, and workout apps stopped working last night (2/15/2023), watch series 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.