Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackpad bugging on my MacBook Pro 2017 Intel Ventura 13

I asked this question on Reddit, but I think I shuold double my chances by asking it here, too.

I've been training Java on my Windows 10, so I spent a couple of weeks without using my Mac. Today, when I booted my Mac, the integrated keyboard would only type numbers and the trackpad would only click as if I were right-clicking with a mouse.

I tried to reset the SMC by pressing shift + control + option adn the on/off button but that didn't work and that didn't work. I tried booting up the laptop with Command + R pressed to try and format it, but that also didn't work, even when I used an external keyboard.

I saw a video in which a guy deleted the keyboardtype.plist file to force the computer to find the keyboard, but I couldn't even find the file to delete on my side.

Do you have any suggestions?

Update: It came back to life! And now it's dead again.

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 5:37 PM

BrunoTheBigCat wrote:

I asked this question on Reddit, but I think I shuold double my chances by asking it here, too.

I've been training Java on my Windows 10, so I spent a couple of weeks without using my Mac. Today, when I booted my Mac, the integrated keyboard would only type numbers and the trackpad would only click as if I were right-clicking with a mouse.

I tried to reset the SMC by pressing shift + control + option adn the on/off button but that didn't work and that didn't work. I tried booting up the laptop with Command + R pressed to try and format it, but that also didn't work, even when I used an external keyboard.

I saw a video in which a guy deleted the keyboardtype.plist file to force the computer to find the keyboard, but I couldn't even find the file to delete on my side.

Verify full keyboard access did not get turned on...

>System Settings>Accessibility>Navigation

Trackpad & keyboard would be NVRAM

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

You can try the Diagnostic—Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac see if it kicks an error code

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

A work around would be to use an external keyboard / external trackpad (or mouse) and test.

If it is a faulty trackpad/keyboard cable you may need to replace the cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2023 5:37 PM in response to BrunoTheBigCat

BrunoTheBigCat wrote:

Verify full keyboard access did not get turned on...

>System Settings>Accessibility>Navigation

Trackpad & keyboard would be NVRAM

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

You can try the Diagnostic—Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac see if it kicks an error code

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

A work around would be to use an external keyboard / external trackpad (or mouse) and test.

If it is a faulty trackpad/keyboard cable you may need to replace the cable.

Keyboard and trackpad bugging on my MacBook Pro 2017 Intel Ventura 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.