Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t download apps

I can’t download app because y’all keep trying to make me pay for this subscription that i don’t even use

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 6:47 PM

Apple requiring a payment method such as a credit or debit card, even for free apps or where you have enough account balance to pay for the item, is not an uncommon observation. Some possible reasons are outlined in the links below such as outstanding balance, an issue with a payment method you have currently entered, ongoing subscriptions, or simply because they say so. You can try to configure your account to not have a payment method but you may find there is no option other than to enter a valid payment method to satisfy one of Apple's requirements. If the item is free you will not be charged. If it costs something, your Apple ID balance will in most cases be used first. You can later try to remove the payment method and see if it only needs to be there temporarily.

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

- "You might need to have a payment method on file, even if the app that you want to download is free." If you have something else on your account that requires a payment method, such as a subscription, and your current payment method is not working then Apple won't let you download even free things until you fix the payment method. This is explained in this document, 'If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store' - If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2023 6:47 PM in response to mydi96

Apple requiring a payment method such as a credit or debit card, even for free apps or where you have enough account balance to pay for the item, is not an uncommon observation. Some possible reasons are outlined in the links below such as outstanding balance, an issue with a payment method you have currently entered, ongoing subscriptions, or simply because they say so. You can try to configure your account to not have a payment method but you may find there is no option other than to enter a valid payment method to satisfy one of Apple's requirements. If the item is free you will not be charged. If it costs something, your Apple ID balance will in most cases be used first. You can later try to remove the payment method and see if it only needs to be there temporarily.

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

- "You might need to have a payment method on file, even if the app that you want to download is free." If you have something else on your account that requires a payment method, such as a subscription, and your current payment method is not working then Apple won't let you download even free things until you fix the payment method. This is explained in this document, 'If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store' - If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

I can’t download apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.