Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I getting so many spam calls on my iPhone?

Why am I getting so many spam calls

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 8:50 AM

3 replies

Feb 17, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Marshfamm1

Spam, whether it is coming in via phone calls, emails, or text messages, affect just about everyone ... so you are not alone. Why you are getting them may relate to many different factors, including businesses that "sell" your personal information, or data mining by nefarious characters. The bottom line is that spam costs very little to send and is the modern day replacement for junk mail.

You may note that spam calls are typically robotic, which adds to the frustration. Worse, they sometimes appear as local numbers that are random. The key is to not answer them. Any legitimate calls should go to voicemail, and if any of those are spam, you can quickly find out by reviewing the voicemail ... especially easier if you enable visual voicemail on your iPhone.

Regardless, for spam calls, you will need to contact your cellular provider to see what they offer to combat against them. Some, like AT&T & Verizon, offer call filtering apps for your phone.

Ref: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Feb 18, 2023 10:23 AM in response to Marshfamm1

Spam calls on your iPhone can be a frustrating and annoying experience. Here are some possible reasons why you may be receiving so many spam calls:

1. Your phone number was obtained by a telemarketing company or scammer: Telemarketing companies and scammers often obtain phone numbers from public databases, social media, and other sources. If you've recently shared your phone number online, or signed up for a service that requires you to provide your phone number, this could be the reason why you're receiving spam calls.
  2. Your phone number was auto-dialed by a robocaller: Robocallers use automated dialing systems to call thousands of phone numbers at once. If your phone number is on their list, you may receive spam calls frequently.
  3. You've inadvertently signed up for a service that sells your phone number: Some services, such as online surveys or contests, require you to provide your phone number. However, these services may also sell your phone number to telemarketing companies or other third-party entities.
  4. Your phone number has been spoofed: Spoofing is when a spammer falsifies the caller ID information to make it look like the call is coming from a legitimate number. This can make it difficult to identify spam calls.

To reduce the number of spam calls you receive on your iPhone, here are some tips:

1. Enable "Silence Unknown Callers" in your iPhone settings. This will automatically send calls from unknown numbers to voicemail.
  2. Block specific phone numbers that you know are spam.
  3. Use a third-party call-blocking app, which can identify and block spam calls.
  4. Don't answer calls from phone numbers you don't recognize.
  5. Avoid sharing your phone number online or signing up for services that require your phone number.
  6. Register your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry.

By taking these steps, you can reduce the number of spam calls you receive on your iPhone and protect yourself from potential scams.

Why am I getting so many spam calls on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.