Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch won't play any music

The watch can't play stations, can't play songs in my libraries, except for those already downloaded (no "cloud" to the right of the song). For stations, it just shows the name of the station, as if it were still trying to load the music, then it automatically pauses. I unpause it, it pauses again. For the not downloaded songs, the song name is shown, the song seems to be playing (the button says so), except that it isn't. It has been working fine several days ago. I tried restarting both devices (watch and iPhone), but no effect.

Help me out here, it's getting extremely frustrating.

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 11:27 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 17, 2023 2:55 PM in response to HappyingMatt

If all settings normal but behaviour is irrational there is a progressive hierarchy of  remedies...

First force restart the Watch 

i.e. press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. 

Then, although it may seem irrelevant, while it is restarting Force Restart the paired iphone   Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK) 

Test it for a while. If it is still misbehaving... Unpair and set up again

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK) 

and then 

Set up your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

You may also want to make sure the software on the watch and iphone  are both up to date to the same level. 

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support 

If no better you may want to unpair and set up without restoring the backup

Make sure you are not using VPN or security apps on the iPhone.

If you've completed that troubleshooting and the issue is still not resolved, Contact Support. 

Click here > Contact - Official Apple Support

or phone numbers  

Click here > Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

and or Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Feb 18, 2023 6:37 AM in response to LD150

LD150,

I strongly believe that it is important to do it in that order!

It's my belief that the watch updates are dependent upon the paired iPhone's iOS version.

For example, watchOS 9.3.1 won't show up as an available update until the iPhone has been updated to 16.3.1.

So if a person is paying attention to their watch (Settings, > General, > Software Update), it's going to say that it's up to date until the next time the iPhone is updated.

This is my take on it based on what I've seen here on the forums. The one that totally convinced me was the guy that paired his watch with a phone running iOS 16, then updated the watch (there weren't any updates available while it was paired to his iPhone 7). After updating the watch, he then tried to re- pair it back to his iPhone 7. Epic mistake ;-)

apple watch won't play any music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.