Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATTO UL5D Express PCIe SCSI adapter card

ATTOTech no longer supports this card, and more importantly, does not maintain a download of any drivers for it (let’s bring back the concept of “shame”). Does anyone out there have the last Apple driver made for it, specifically osx_drv_epicu320_443? No Mac Pro model that I own even recognizes that the card is installed in a PCIe slot, which is troubling. An old troubleshooting guide from ATTO suggests that it won’t show up without the driver loaded, which would be a surprise to me. Others have asked for this driver before, although with no forum response. Someone must have it, as an eight year old thread discussed how to make it work with Mavericks and Yosemite. Anyone?

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 7:17 PM

ah cool, you're still kickin.

Here's a link with the original dmg images for each the driver, config tool and utilities.

The driver package and the kernel extension is also in the folder, that's basically the contents of the driver dmg, iI had to extract them to manually install cos he installer won't launch on Ventura.

The Utilities dmg has been decompressed to a folder.

As mentioned, 10.8.x was last supported version by ATTO but I assure you it's running in Ventura via manual install, and was running in Mojave via the installer, I don't recall the situation with Monterey and the OS's between Mojave and Monterey I skipped.

Either way it should work out for you.

Pretty lucky, because I was searching for something else and wasn't going to click this topic in the search results on google, but glad I did land here to fulfil your request ;-)

[Link Edited by Moderator]

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 7:17 PM in response to Orglethorpe

ah cool, you're still kickin.

Here's a link with the original dmg images for each the driver, config tool and utilities.

The driver package and the kernel extension is also in the folder, that's basically the contents of the driver dmg, iI had to extract them to manually install cos he installer won't launch on Ventura.

The Utilities dmg has been decompressed to a folder.

As mentioned, 10.8.x was last supported version by ATTO but I assure you it's running in Ventura via manual install, and was running in Mojave via the installer, I don't recall the situation with Monterey and the OS's between Mojave and Monterey I skipped.

Either way it should work out for you.

Pretty lucky, because I was searching for something else and wasn't going to click this topic in the search results on google, but glad I did land here to fulfil your request ;-)

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Feb 19, 2023 4:49 PM in response to Orglethorpe

Two places that have old Mac references:

http://www.lowendmac.com

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

are good places to start your search.

You may want to check your local

User Groups - Apple

I have not been able to locate the drivers on Google, so if they exist anywhere they would be in a private repository.

This is where maintaining backups of drivers with clones becomes essential if you need older software that becomes harder to find.

Mar 13, 2023 1:10 PM in response to Orglethorpe

Hey mate, I have the driver dmg osx_drv_epciu320_443.dmg

How to get it to you?

Inside is the dmg package is the kernel extension: ATTOExpressPCI4.kext

I extracted it out of the pkg with Pacifist.app

It's working here in Ventura hackintosh.

Must reboot mac or hack to Recovery, Open Terminal from Utilities menu, run command:

csrutil disable

to disable SIP

Reboot.

To install ATTOExpressPCI4.kext search for and use 'Hackintool' app.

Click Utilities Tab

Click the 'Install Kernel Extensions' icon to install the kernel extension to /Library/Extensions

System Settings prompts to allow the unsigned driver, do that then reboot.

Confirm with System Information.app select under Hardware 'SCSI Parallel' to show card has been recognised.

Here's populated example:

Mar 13, 2023 1:21 PM in response to Orglethorpe

Also FYI, the SCSI PCIe LSI Logic LSI20320IE card is automatically recognised in Ventura without installing any drivers. Unfortunately, even though System Information lists the card properties, the card does not detect two of the devices connected to the external port. IDK why, maybe external connector is faulty. Trying to source another card to test. These LSI Logic LSI20320IE cards are selling for lower $ than the ATTO UL5D.

Mar 15, 2023 11:36 AM in response to Targon

Remember SCSI can be very finicky regarding termination.

The sequence that SCSI devices load based on the ID at startup is all important.

SCSI ID of 0 typically is assigned the card or logicboard of the machine that has built-in SCSI.

SCSI IDs that are higher than zero are assigned in a sequence on the chain.

So 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7 is how the chain is done. The last SCSI device needs to have a terminator plug or dip switch set so that it knows what is the end of the chain.

SCSI devices must be on in the reverse sequence based on ID before starting the computer.

Mar 15, 2023 7:48 PM in response to a brody

Not sure where you've attained some that info dude??

SCSI ID priority is 7 to 0.

The Host adapter is always 7 (highest priority master), and 0 for Internal HDD's in the case of old skool 68k and PPC Mac's, that's the way they used to be configured. Even UltraWide was set to 7 even though they had 16 IDs, in that case it went from 7-0 priority then 15-8.

There's no specified sequence of turning on based on ID as you seem to think. Just fire up the external devices before the computer is usually okay. But sure, sometimes some external devices protest if they aren't fired up in a particular sequence, but and in my experience way back then, it was often random and device particular regardless of ID's and their sequence. With good quality, shielded and short cables, hardly ever a drama.

It's usually Windows people that complain and make comments about SCSI h3ll and that's because of their POS OS. On Mac OS, SCSI, for me was typically fine. When there was an issue on the chain that can be recognised easily because the SCSI external device or the computer would freeze during start, the first and probably only cause is termination config. As you say, typically a jumper not set on an internal HDD or not set on the last device on the chain. Pretty simple really, because most Host Adapters auto sense that there's no internal HDD connected, therefor determines it is at the end of the chain and terminates itself automatically.

Something else if up with the LSI HBA I have, IDK even know it's history and if it was working before I acquired it, we'll get to that in the coming weeks.

Anyway, got to think where I can upload this ATTO driver for the OP so if he does come back and still needs it he can get it. Probably he should have just emailed ATTO support and put in a request for them to send him the driver, i'm sure they'd accomodate him.

Mar 15, 2023 11:04 PM in response to Targon

Wow - thanks! Just returned from a place with no power, phone or internet - sorry for the delayed response. Frankly, I'd be happy to use the driver under 10.8.5, if it makes the card work. WeTransfer, DropBox or any other file service works for me. Let me know your preference. Is there any old driver I might have that you could use? I could return the favor. Now if I could only find the old Atto Configuration tool . . .

Mar 21, 2023 3:35 PM in response to Targon

Wow! Thanks a bunch - this was just what I needed. Now, of course, I'm dealing with the possibility that my UL5D is no good. Even with this driver loaded now, the Mac Pro does not recognize it (Under 10.6.8 - it's a 1.1 model. I figured I'd start with age-appropriate hardware and OS for the best chance, unless that driver is too new). And the Configuration Tool doesn't, either. Unless anyone has some tips on how to troubleshoot the ATTO hardware involved, I'm ready to close this thread and chalk it up to a bad SCSI card purchase. Many thanks to Targon for the comprehensive ATTO driver and utilities package. And for the info on the LSI card, which I'm ready to consider.

Mar 30, 2023 6:31 PM in response to virtual289

Hey virtual289, I replied a few days ago with a link but Apple deleted it for reasons of "inappropriate link", no explanation. Suppose they only allow monetised links where they think they are self obligated to a 30% cut meh.

I emailed ATTO Tech requesting permission to host the drivers on github since they ended support in 2013, but their response was, "since the drivers are copyrighted IP, they can't give permission".

Any suggestions on how to get the drivers to you?

Private message functionality here for would be useful for exchanging such infos.

ATTO UL5D Express PCIe SCSI adapter card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.