Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tow-step authenticator without a device to authenticate

How can I access my iCloud account when I don't have my iPhone? I don't travel with an iPhone. But need to access iCloud.

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2023 2:35 AM

Since “all” you need to do is “browser” access into https://icloud.com/ you have a few options:

Option 1): Purchase the “cheapest” iPhone you can obtain; use it as a “code generator” (once setup, they do NOT need to be connected to perform this task)

Option 2: Depending on where you access iCloud from, you may elect to have the code sent to ANY SMS or Voice number world-wide. Obviously this requires you to know in-advance what numbers will be accessible to you.

Option 3: It might appear that Apple’s newest implementation - Security Keys for AppleID - might be a good solution.

Caveat: I’ve not used this myself … yet.

They should allow easy authentication from any browser window into your iCloud account.

Security Key Limitations:

It DOES require you to have a physical FIDO2 hardware key AND at least one backup.

It DOES require a “modern” browser supporting the WebAutn standard. (Not too much of an issue anymore)

IF you loose access to your key, you WILL need an Apple trusted device to get back in to your account (using keys deactivates legacy authentication methods)

See more here:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2023 2:35 AM in response to carolfromnormandin

Since “all” you need to do is “browser” access into https://icloud.com/ you have a few options:

Option 1): Purchase the “cheapest” iPhone you can obtain; use it as a “code generator” (once setup, they do NOT need to be connected to perform this task)

Option 2: Depending on where you access iCloud from, you may elect to have the code sent to ANY SMS or Voice number world-wide. Obviously this requires you to know in-advance what numbers will be accessible to you.

Option 3: It might appear that Apple’s newest implementation - Security Keys for AppleID - might be a good solution.

Caveat: I’ve not used this myself … yet.

They should allow easy authentication from any browser window into your iCloud account.

Security Key Limitations:

It DOES require you to have a physical FIDO2 hardware key AND at least one backup.

It DOES require a “modern” browser supporting the WebAutn standard. (Not too much of an issue anymore)

IF you loose access to your key, you WILL need an Apple trusted device to get back in to your account (using keys deactivates legacy authentication methods)

See more here:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

About Security Keys for Apple ID - Apple Support

Feb 17, 2023 8:09 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Hi Chattanoogan, thank you for the quick reply. I have an iPhone. I just want to connect from ANY web browser from anywhere in the world to the iCloud.com. I wish I could get that forever process security code, that is pretty much essentiel nowadays, by email. So that way, I could log in to my email to get the code and then go back to the iCloud.com to get in. Anyway, how do I get to the iCloud if I lose my iPhone in an other country? Then, I would need to access my iCloud.com account in order to find it, make it ring, turn it off and so on. I just don't understand it. It is mainly the reason I did not turn it on (I turned it off) the tow-step authenticator. Thank you!

Feb 18, 2023 3:41 AM in response to carolfromnormandin

Additionally;

To clear up some other common misconceptions which you repeated in your reply.

You NEVER need a security code to use FindMy from ANY browser, anywhere.

Simply click the Find Phone button at the bottom of https://icloud.com/ in most browsers. Alternatively, using the url https://icloud.com/find does the same thing. Then ALL you need to know is your AppleID and associated password.

Lastly you stated that you DO have an iPhone. It can generate a code ANYTIME, ANYPLACE … even with no external communications whatsoever.

Tow-step authenticator without a device to authenticate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.