Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad rapid battery drain

Hello,

I have an iPad that I have been using for a few years and the product has always worked very well. Recently, (since I updated to iOS 16) the battery will go from 100% charge to 0% in a few hours when I am not using it at all. This has never been the case before.

When I check battery usage, it says thinly App in use is 'Homescreen', which indicates that there are no apps running in the background.

The device is essentially useless now because it doesn't keep any charge whatsoever.

I stress that this issue only began when I updated to iOS 16, so it is a sudden change rather than a gradual degradation of the battery.

Thank you in advance for any help.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 17, 2023 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 5:39 PM

This seems to have resolved the problem. Thank you!

3 replies

Feb 17, 2023 7:40 PM in response to niall181

Hey there. So in iOS 16, while it may only show Home Screen running, it allows all your apps to refresh and update in the background, which can and will kill your battery. If this is what I’m thinking it is, you can go to settings>general>background app refresh and toggle it off. Also, you mention you’ve been using the iPad for “a few years”. How many is a few? These, like any other batteries, will deteriorate over time, and you could just have a perfect Molotov cocktail between age of battery and iOS update and bg app refreshes. Let me know if this helps, or if not, I might have another prognosis or two.

Feb 17, 2023 7:47 PM in response to a_r_kitekt

Thank you for your response.

I've had it for maybe four years. I guess the surprise for me is how suddenly the performance went from a few days light use from a 100% charge to now getting zero actual use from 100% charge.

I've switched off background app refresh just now, as you suggested. I'll see if that works and reply if the problem persists.

Thank you.

iPad rapid battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.