Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme with a Motorola MB7621

Below is a paste of an old question that "no one has replied to in a while." Apple says ask it again. I did not originally ask this question, but I have the exact same question. I am trying to track down if my AirPort Extreme is bad. I have done everything Bob Timmons said. The original asker never followed up, but I need the answer. Can someone continue this answer? My question is how can I tell if my Extreme is no longer any good? It's a 2016 model. My speeds have dropped on WiFi and my modem is delivering around 450mbps on a 500mbps plan with a ethernet connection up from modem to computer. I have followed all the steps below.

Bob Timmons

User level:

Level 10

146,915 points

Has anyone been successful using an AirPort Extreme with a Motorola MB7621?

I don't have this specific model, but have used different Motorola modems with an AirPort router with no problems. If the modem is operating correctly and the AirPort is as well, the products should work together.

Check to make sure that the modem is working correctly by connecting your computer directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable to make sure that you can get a good Internet connection that way. Be sure to turn off the WiFi on the computer to insure that the connection will be over the Ethernet cable.

If you can get a good Internet connection with the computer connected directly to the modem, this will confirm that the modem is working correctly. Then we can work on getting the AirPort up and running with the modem.

Do you need to first do a factory reset on the Airport?

Yes. This must be done whenever you change the modem or change service providers. Post back if you need more details.

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 6:51 AM

OK, you know that the modem is delivering 450 Mbps when you connect the modem directly to your Mac.

Now, with the modem connected to the AirPort Extreme, what speed do you see when you connect the Mac using an Ethernet cable to one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme? Be sure to turn off the Wi-Fi on your Mac when you run this "test" to insure that the connection will be over the wired Ethernet connection.

Run a few speed checks to get an average, which will likely be in the 300-350 Mbps range if the AirPort Extreme is operating normally.

Next, disconnect the Ethernet cable and turn the Wi-Fi back on at your Mac. Locate the Mac in the same room as the AirPort Extreme with line of the sight between the Mac and AirPort Extreme if possible and run a few speed checks that way to get an average connection speed.

Wi-Fi is never going to be as fast as Ethernet, so the Wi-Fi speeds that you see will be lower. Wi-Fi is also a mix of half science and half voodoo.

Post back on your results with these two "tests" and we will continue.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2023 6:51 AM in response to Rolfler

OK, you know that the modem is delivering 450 Mbps when you connect the modem directly to your Mac.

Now, with the modem connected to the AirPort Extreme, what speed do you see when you connect the Mac using an Ethernet cable to one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the back of the AirPort Extreme? Be sure to turn off the Wi-Fi on your Mac when you run this "test" to insure that the connection will be over the wired Ethernet connection.

Run a few speed checks to get an average, which will likely be in the 300-350 Mbps range if the AirPort Extreme is operating normally.

Next, disconnect the Ethernet cable and turn the Wi-Fi back on at your Mac. Locate the Mac in the same room as the AirPort Extreme with line of the sight between the Mac and AirPort Extreme if possible and run a few speed checks that way to get an average connection speed.

Wi-Fi is never going to be as fast as Ethernet, so the Wi-Fi speeds that you see will be lower. Wi-Fi is also a mix of half science and half voodoo.

Post back on your results with these two "tests" and we will continue.

Feb 19, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Rolfler

Nothing wrong with the AirPort Extreme at all because you can see that it delivers 450+ speeds over Ethernet and about the same using Wi-Fi. I wish my AirPort Extreme was doing as well as yours.

But both your MacBook Pros are having problems with Wi-Fi. You should see at least 300+ using Wi-Fi on both Macs.

And one of the Mac Book Pros is OK using Ethernet......450+.....but the other is not.

My recommendation would be to post your results in the MacBook Pro support forum and ask about what the issues might be with the two Macs. The link for that support forum is just below:

MacBook Pro

Feb 20, 2023 6:35 AM in response to Rolfler

What can I do to make a data rate high for each/all devices?

The Wi-Fi signal travels in a straight line between the AirPort Extreme and the Wi-Fi client. The signal is going to lose strength (and speed) the further that it travels. The signal will also slow down significantly if it must pass through a wall, a ceiling, heavy furniture, bathroom tile, etc.

With a single AirPort Extreme, you are limited in your options:

• Move the Wi-Fi client closer to the AirPort Extreme
  • Move the AirPort Extreme closer to the Wi-Fi client
  • Move both the Wi-Fi client and the AirPort Extreme closer together
  • Eliminate obstructions like walls, ceilings, heavy furniture etc in the direct signal path between the AirPort Extreme and the Wi-Fi client

My house is about 2200 square feet single level. I use 3 AirPort Extremes that are all connected together using Ethernet connections. The network provides fast speeds everywhere in the house and out in the patio area in back.

Feb 20, 2023 7:08 AM in response to Rolfler

Hopefully, you can connect the AirPort Express using a wired Ethernet cable connection to the AirPort Extreme. That is by far the best way to connect.

Unfortunately, the AirPort Express has only 100 Mbps Ethernet port(s), so the maximum speed that any Wi-Fi client will receive from the AirPort Express is going to be 100 Mbps.

The AirPort Extreme uses 1,000 Mbps Ethernet ports.

Feb 24, 2023 4:30 AM in response to Rolfler

I began to get a better understanding with your help after further searching on the internet. This week, I got a new router, last year's model on sale. All of my household WiFi problems are solved - WiFi 6 Router that is more than I need since I only can use a 5. For about $75 it is very intelligent - assigning my laptops, iPad, iPhone to 5g and all my cameras, etc. to 2g. I just plugged it all in and it made the best assignments. I love to make old things work, but there comes a time ...... Thank you again! Everything is zooming along in my 3-bdrm house with no slow down. Almost the maximum of 500 that my ISP provides.

AirPort Extreme with a Motorola MB7621

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.