Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty Gmail Folders

The majority of my emails in my GMAIL Folders are not there on my MacBook? Can anyone help me restore or find them? I have used the REBUILD option but only 10 appeared - there are 100s missing. Thank you.

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 6:04 PM

Hey bevfromgbr,

We'd be happy to help out. If your Gmail inbox isn't showing the majority of your emails, make sure you don't have a filter enabled in Mac Mail. While the following steps are for enabling filters, they can also be applied to disable them:

Turn filters on
• In the Mail app  on your Mac, click the Filter button  at the top of the message list, or choose View > Filter > Enable Message Filter. You can also click and hold the Filter button, then choose Enable Message Filter from the menu that appears.
• The Filter button changes color to indicate that the default filter (Unread) or filters you previously set are applied to the current mailbox. The filters are shown in the toolbar above the message list.

This is outlined further here: Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, if still not seeing your emails, check Gmail's webmail to see if the emails are showing on the email server. If so, we'd suggest deleting your Gmail account from your Mac and adding it back. Gmail accounts are preconfigured IMAP accounts, so they can be safely removed and added back without data loss since the emails are stored on the email server only, not downloaded locally.

For help removing the account, check out: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

You can then add it back using the info here: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results and we'll go from there.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 6:04 PM in response to bevfromgbr

Hey bevfromgbr,

We'd be happy to help out. If your Gmail inbox isn't showing the majority of your emails, make sure you don't have a filter enabled in Mac Mail. While the following steps are for enabling filters, they can also be applied to disable them:

Turn filters on
• In the Mail app  on your Mac, click the Filter button  at the top of the message list, or choose View > Filter > Enable Message Filter. You can also click and hold the Filter button, then choose Enable Message Filter from the menu that appears.
• The Filter button changes color to indicate that the default filter (Unread) or filters you previously set are applied to the current mailbox. The filters are shown in the toolbar above the message list.

This is outlined further here: Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, if still not seeing your emails, check Gmail's webmail to see if the emails are showing on the email server. If so, we'd suggest deleting your Gmail account from your Mac and adding it back. Gmail accounts are preconfigured IMAP accounts, so they can be safely removed and added back without data loss since the emails are stored on the email server only, not downloaded locally.

For help removing the account, check out: Log out of or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

You can then add it back using the info here: Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results and we'll go from there.

Take care!

Empty Gmail Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.