Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail folders missing

I recently noticed some, not all, of my mail folders are missing from the lift "On My Mac," on the left side of the Mail page. When I search for emails which are in the missing folders, I can find emails that are in the missing folders, but I can't find the folders containing those emails. How can I find the folders?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 8, 2023 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 7:01 PM

Don't know if this helps you but I had the same issue. I suspected that I dragged my missing mailbox into a subfolder of another one but as I have 60+ folders, I couldn't find it.

I right-clicked the parent folder and clicked Get Account Info - that indexed all my folders and messages and I could see my missing folder in there. It was indeed inadvertently dragged underneath another folder. Once I found it, I moved it back into position.

Hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 7:01 PM in response to grtlkr

Don't know if this helps you but I had the same issue. I suspected that I dragged my missing mailbox into a subfolder of another one but as I have 60+ folders, I couldn't find it.

I right-clicked the parent folder and clicked Get Account Info - that indexed all my folders and messages and I could see my missing folder in there. It was indeed inadvertently dragged underneath another folder. Once I found it, I moved it back into position.

Hope this helps.

May 17, 2023 2:31 PM in response to grtlkr

I'm using Ventura 13.3.1(a), which makes me think you may be on a different OS. The pics I have included are for this version. If you are on a different OS, let me know and I can research further.

Mine shows Favorites at the top of the sidebar like in this pic:

If yours just show Mailboxes, are you able mouse over (or if trackpad just move cursor over) where it says Mailboxes to see if a "+" appears to the right of it? When I mouse over on mine where it shows Favorites, it gives me a list of my current mailboxes I can add there.

Also when you go to Mail > Settings > Accounts, are all of those mailboxes available in your sidebar?

And one last thing, when you do search for the emails, it should show the name of the Mailbox that it was found in. Is that mailbox in the list of Accounts in your settings?

May 18, 2023 7:10 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Thank you again for your replies; this is more complicated than it first appeared, perhaps because I have Catalina 10.15.7, which is the latest I can put on my 2011 MacBook Air.

My sidebar does not show Favorites on the top. When I put my cursor on Mailboxes in the sidebar, a + appears next to it, but clicking the + sends me to a dialog box to add a mailbox.

I cannot go to Mail > Settings > Accounts. I can go to Mail > Accounts, but that doesn’t show a sidebar, it just shows all my email accounts, like Google, AOL, iCloud, etc.

I cannot go to anything that says “Settings.” When I search for the missing emails, it does show the Mailbox in which it was found, but it only shows the sub-Mailbox, not the missing main Mailbox containing the sub folders.

mail folders missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.