Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mail: "On My Mac" folders disappeared

I accidentally clicked on something this AM when half asleep and POOF! -- all my "On My Mac" mail folders (personally created categories) disappeared ... How to retrieve them?

Kindly explain in language your grandmother would understand -- I am one!

Grateful for your help.

-- Bonnie (M2 Max- Ventura13.5 - Mail v.16.0)

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 9:02 AM

5 replies

Aug 13, 2023 10:34 AM in response to catfootfog

Hello catfootfog,

You most likely moved those folders to a different location by dragging them. The question, of course, will be where ? First look at your Desktop. Next, dive into each folder in the Mail app to see if they hide there.

Once you find them, drag them back to their correct location.

Dec 15, 2023 10:14 PM in response to tygb

Where is this "On My Mac" located? I using a MacBook Air with OS Sonoma 14.0 r and I'm suddenly missing view of all my mail "folders" I can still see numbers of undread email or how many are in the trash, I can actually hover my mouse where I know folders were and It will display the emails in that folder in the view pane. It appears to be in a gray color usually regarded as not active.

Mail: "On My Mac" folders disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.