Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import photos to Ipad.

Why does the IMPORT choice no longer show up when trying to upload photos from an SD card to an Ipad 9?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 19, 2023 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 3:10 PM

Firstly, you’ll need to connect at suitable SD Card reader to your iPad - for which you’ll find guidance in the [frequently overlooked] iPad User Guide:

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Direct import of photos from your camera SD Card to your Photo library is possible - subject to a couple of caveats:

• the SD Card must be correctly formatted as FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (FAT64)
  • stored photos are stored within the expected DCIM folder

Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support

If you are unable to use the direct photo import feature, you can still manually access and copy photos from the SD Card using the iPad’s built-in Files App. To do so, just open the Files App - and in the Sidebar you will see your SD Card in the list of Locations. If necessary, open the sidebar by tapping the sidebar icon at top-left of the Files App Window. Photos can be copied to the iPad Photo Library, or copied to a folder of your choice either on your iPad or elsewhere.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 3:10 PM in response to NW2261

Firstly, you’ll need to connect at suitable SD Card reader to your iPad - for which you’ll find guidance in the [frequently overlooked] iPad User Guide:

Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Direct import of photos from your camera SD Card to your Photo library is possible - subject to a couple of caveats:

• the SD Card must be correctly formatted as FAT, FAT32 or exFAT (FAT64)
  • stored photos are stored within the expected DCIM folder

Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support

If you are unable to use the direct photo import feature, you can still manually access and copy photos from the SD Card using the iPad’s built-in Files App. To do so, just open the Files App - and in the Sidebar you will see your SD Card in the list of Locations. If necessary, open the sidebar by tapping the sidebar icon at top-left of the Files App Window. Photos can be copied to the iPad Photo Library, or copied to a folder of your choice either on your iPad or elsewhere.

Feb 21, 2023 11:19 AM in response to NW2261

Hey NW2261,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities. The steps under "If you don’t see the import option" might help with the issue you're having with importing those photos to your iPad: Import photos using Apple camera adapters - Apple Support

If you don’t see the import option

If you don't see the Import tab, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your digital camera is on and in the correct mode to export images.
2. Disconnect the adapter, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect it.
3. Unplug the digital camera or SD card, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect.
4. Restart your iOS device and turn your camera off and back on.
5. If one is available, test with a different digital camera or SD card. If you can import media with a different digital camera or SD card, there might be an issue with the data on the camera or SD card. Try to import the data to another device or computer, then use your digital camera to format—or reset—the SD card. Reformatting will erase all the images on the SD card. Check the manual for your digital camera for more help.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Feb 22, 2023 4:30 PM in response to NW2261

Thank you so much for your reply.

I always read the Ipad Users manual before I start contacting anyone.

Your suggestion of going to FILES is not mentioned in the Users manual.

It worked fine and I managed to save those photos to a pre-named folder, but in the FILES folder.

Not sure how to save the photos to the PHOTOS folder.

Should I select the folder again and open the PHOTOS folder and copy to a folder there, or is there an easier way?

I am 78 years old and got my first cell phone (Iphone 13) and also the Ipad.

So I have lots of learning to do!

Cannot import photos to Ipad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.