Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails disappeared from subfolders in Mail.

Hi all,

I was recently filing in, rearranging and renaming some self-created subfolders on my Mac Mail. Something unknown to me happened (I think it was when I was renaming a folder and I tried to use a forward slash which wasn't allowed), and suddenly all the saved emails in the subfolders disappeared. There are still emails showing in the main folder, and in all my other folders/subfolders, but not in the subfolders of the one I was sorting (which of course was the most important). I don't want to restore from backup if possible because the backup is a little old and I'll lose some of my newer stuff. Does anyone have any ideas where they could be? I can't find them when I type in the search bar, and also I noted an "Archive" and "Bin" folder have shown up underneath the problem folder which I don't think were there before, but there is nothing in them either. I'm on a Mac Air running Monterey 12.5.

Any clues would be much appreciated. 🙏

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 2:46 AM

4 replies

Feb 21, 2023 12:33 PM in response to stjoan88

Greetings stjoan88,

You may be able to restore the missing Mailbox without having to restore the whole Mac.

"On your Mac, open a window for the item you want to restore.

For example, to recover a file you accidentally deleted from your Documents folder, open the Documents folder.

If you’re missing an item from the desktop, you don’t need to open a window.

Use Launchpad to view and open apps on Mac and open Time Machine (in the Other folder). A message may appear while your Mac connects to the backup disk.

Use the arrows and timeline to browse the local snapshots and backups.

If you see a pulsing light to semi-dark gray tick mark, it represents a backup that’s still loading or validating on the backup disk.

Select one or more items you want to restore (these can include folders or your entire disk), then click Restore.

"Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

We hope this helps resolve the issue with the missing Mailbox.

Sincerely.

Emails disappeared from subfolders in Mail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.