Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021 Battery Health Dropped 4% within 2 months of purchasing new macbook,

Battery Health Dropped 4% within 2 months of purchasing a new MacBook pro 16inch m1 pro-2021 from 100% to 96%. please help apple my service centre is telling me that they will only replace the new battery if it shows 'service' on the battery option in my mac. I want to replace my battery.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 8:34 AM

devr99 wrote:

Do you mean it is totally fine if it's 96% within 2 months of purchasing, my cycle counts are only 27 and its 96% battery health

Yes. Its normal.

What if my cycle counts < 1000 and Battery Health < 80% under a year?
Do I have to consider a replacement?

Yes. when it reaches less than 80% a replacement should be considered regardless of cycle count.

and,

if this happens later a year then I have to pay 590$ for the replacement of a new battery, I'm very afraid of this happening later year when the warranty expires,

Who says it's going to cost $590? Currently the battery replacement is at $199. By the time yours reaches 80% it would likely be cheaper since it will be an older model at that time. You can get an estimate at ➜ Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

because my phone and later macbook air 2017 intel version, never saw this issue in 6 years of usage, why is this happening in top-notch model of MacBook?

Nothing is happening. There is absolutely no issue happening to your computer. The battery on your phone, likely had the same health percentage at around the same time.

It's completely normal.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 8:34 AM in response to devr99

devr99 wrote:

Do you mean it is totally fine if it's 96% within 2 months of purchasing, my cycle counts are only 27 and its 96% battery health

Yes. Its normal.

Yes. when it reaches less than 80% a replacement should be considered regardless of cycle count.

and,

if this happens later a year then I have to pay 590$ for the replacement of a new battery, I'm very afraid of this happening later year when the warranty expires,

Who says it's going to cost $590? Currently the battery replacement is at $199. By the time yours reaches 80% it would likely be cheaper since it will be an older model at that time. You can get an estimate at ➜ Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

because my phone and later macbook air 2017 intel version, never saw this issue in 6 years of usage, why is this happening in top-notch model of MacBook?

Nothing is happening. There is absolutely no issue happening to your computer. The battery on your phone, likely had the same health percentage at around the same time.

It's completely normal.

Feb 21, 2023 7:46 AM in response to devr99

Batteries are considered Consumable Products.

Over time it will degrade to a point where it needs to be replaced.

The usage is normal as the capacity will go up and down all the time and never stay always at 100%. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles and / or 80% Capacity before needing Evaluation or replacement.

For additional reading on Battery and Apple Computers this link may help. About battery health management in Mac notebooks and especially for the M1 / M2 and Big Sur  & Monterey  and Ventura If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

A feature introduced into Big Sur & Monterey and Ventura was to preserve the number of Full Battery Cycles - there was an Algorithm coded into the macOS.

It is perfectly Normal for Big Sur , Monterey, Ventura to Pause / Suspend charging the battery beyond 80% and hold it at that level. One can nudge / over-ride this by clicking the Battery Icon on Desktop Top Bar and allow charging beyond 80%.

From observations, it will Pause / Suspend again once reading 90%. Same procedure to over-ride and will charge to 100%

Feb 21, 2023 7:40 AM in response to Phil0124

and,

I'm so afraid, please help anyone know, in depth about this problem. thank you!

Mar 7, 2023 2:17 AM in response to devr99

My battery degraded 1% once again from 96% earlier to 95% today at 31 Cycle count. I have asked after a lot of developers working on the same MacBook pro m1 pro configuration which they have 100+ cycle counts with 100% battery health and they never shutdown there mac always on sleep and using 12+ hours of screen time, I don't know but the apple service centre and Apple support care both are saying wait until it shows service at battery option under control centre, I want to replace my battery. I bought this MacBook pro 2 months back. I'm afraid if 80% battery is gone after one year when my warranty will get over, I have to spend a huge amount on replacing my battery. this has been on my budget. Please help anyone, I have diagnosed and recover my mac and updated new update too. but still its same and apart from it I did not even use heavy apps till now, I am only using this mac as using notes, watching movies only that much of use and my battery health degrading very fast Im using 80-20 battery rule and keeping in warm place I have done everything to keep my mac at a safest side. but still the same issue Please help anyone from apple team.

Mar 7, 2023 1:11 PM in response to devr99

Do not take it to 18% unless you are really away from the charger. The lower you drain it on a regular basis, the more likely you will advance the need for a replacement battery.

If you are at home, and it is lunch time, put the Mac on the charger. If it is dinner time, put the Mac on the charger.

It is not an issue if you go from 100% down to 80% and then charge, or 100% to 50% and charge. A charge cycle is made up of lots of little charges until it accumulates 100%, then you get 1 charge cycle.

New MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021 Battery Health Dropped 4% within 2 months of purchasing new macbook,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.