Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Cannot Use MacBook Air as Extended Display (Ventura 13.2.1 on both)

MacBook Air 13" Intel 2019 running Ventura 13.2.1

Mac mini 2023 Apple M2 Pro running Ventura 13.2.1

The Mac mini is much more powerful so it’s my main machine. The MacBook Air stays on the side and I once managed to use it as an extended display for the Mac mini. Since then, I was not able to reproduce this functionality.

1) Both machines recognize each other and I can move my mouse and keyboard across machines.

2) On the MacBook Air, in System Settings > Display, I see both machines (i.e. the MacBook Air with its Built-in Display and the Mac mini with its own display). Underneath, there is a field “Use as”. I have the option to “Linked keyboard and mouse” but also to use the Mac mini as “Extended or mirrored display”. Now that’s not what I want to do: I want to do it the other way around.

3) On the Man mini, in System Settings > Display I see both machines again. However, in the field “Use as” the only option I have access to is “Linked keyboard and mouse”. I cannot use the MacBook Air as “Extended or mirrored display”

I managed to do it once, but since then cannot repeat the configuration. I tried restarting both machine, and also tried force quit the WindowServer process. To no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

All screenshots from the Mac mini Displays setting pane.

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 12:52 PM

Target Display Mode was dropped 4 years ago and only older Macs were capable. If you need a second monitor there are many excellent 3rd party monitors are reasonable prices.

This Apple document describes which Macs can use TDM: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 22, 2023 1:35 PM in response to Parneix

A follow-up to note that it is working again.

As I type this, the Mac mini is my main computer and I use its own dedicated display (a Dell monitor), while the MacBook Air sits next to it and is turned into an extended display for the Mac mini: i.e. I use it as a second display for the Mac mini.

The screenshot below seems to confirm this is an option and that it works with AirPlay. When I reached Apple support directly (yesterday), the representative (very helpful) had never heard of a MacBook Air used as an extended display for another Mac computer.

The following two screenshots are taken from the Display pane of the Mac mini System Settings:

1) This one shows the Mac mini is set to be “used as” the “main display”

2) While this screenshot, again from the Mac mini System Settings, shows the MacBook Air has been set to be used as an extended display:

And it works. A useful application for me is to run Zoom on the Mac mini (much more powerful) while positioning the window on the secondary display: i.e. the MacBook Air, basically just using its screen, and letting the Mac mini handle the process.

The issue, as a reminder, is that this option seems to come and go. I also noticed the Mac mini won’t go to sleep in this configuration.

Feb 20, 2023 1:17 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank for your feedback. Unfortunately, my issue has nothing to do with Target Display Mode, which is not a feature available under Ventura. Note that while using the MacBook Air (running Ventura 13.2.1), I’m able to use the display of the Mac mini as a an extended display or as a mirrored display (without the need for cable connection). This functionality uses AirPlay. See screenshot below (from the MacBook Air):

Mac Mini Cannot Use MacBook Air as Extended Display (Ventura 13.2.1 on both)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.