Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A relative purchased an Apple Watch with GPS and cellular for my minor child. She doesn’t have an iPhone and we don’t want to purchase a new monthly cellular plan for her. How does she use the watch?

A relative purchased an Apple Watch with GPS and cellular for my minor child. She doesn’t have an iPhone and we don’t intend to purchase a new monthly cellular plan for her. How can she use the watch?

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 1:48 PM

Someone in the family must have an iPhone and there will be an additional monthly charge for the watch - one way or another. Unfortunately, there is no way around that.

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Otherwise see the 'Gift Returns' section in:

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2023 1:48 PM in response to MrKleanso

Someone in the family must have an iPhone and there will be an additional monthly charge for the watch - one way or another. Unfortunately, there is no way around that.

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

Otherwise see the 'Gift Returns' section in:

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Feb 20, 2023 1:45 PM in response to MrKleanso

She may not be able to use that Apple Watch. To set up and use a new Apple Watch, you need an iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later. And if you do not want to pay for cellular service on that watch, she will need to keep that iPhone nearby. The Apple Watch will not work as a stand alone device with the limitations you are setting.

A relative purchased an Apple Watch with GPS and cellular for my minor child. She doesn’t have an iPhone and we don’t want to purchase a new monthly cellular plan for her. How does she use the watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.