Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Catalina

Good evening

1. Does Apple TV stream (I don't want to save my movie files to my laptop). If it can stream how can I put the movies in the Cloud? I run Catalina so don't have all the latest features.
  2. Does it synchronise between Macbook Pro, Iphone and Ipad? Do I have to tell it to do that?
  3. Iphone has an extra movie on it not on other devices. How do I rescue it?
  4. Ipad has many movies, shown under recommendations, which I want on all devices but it seems I can only keep on Ipad or delete.

I appreciate your help.

iPad Pro, 12.9-inch, 6th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 20, 2023 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 8:22 AM

1. Does Apple TV stream (I don't want to save my movie files to my laptop). If it can stream how can I put the movies in the Cloud?

Not sure what “my movie files” consists of. Is this about purchases from the iTunes Store? Then those are available to stream from Apple’s servers without a need to download first. No action needed.

Is this about personal home videos? Then you can store those in e.g. your iCloud space/iCloud Photos. If you have a lot of such videos, then you may need to upgrade your iCloud plan (5-50-200-2000 GB). It is good practice to also have a local backup of things that are too important to risk losing.

For other kinds of videos, ask yourself if you have permission from the content creator/​rights holder.

2. Does it synchronize between MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad? Do I have to tell it to do that?

Content on remote servers (cloud) is available equally to all your devices.

3. iPhone has an extra movie on it not on other devices. How do I rescue it?

Syncing media files to iPhone (TV app library/Music app library) is one way. I do not know of a method to sync back to a computer; it is probably officially unsupported. You should have a kept the original on a computer. Only videos in the Photo Library can be synced (transferred) to a computer.

4. iPad has many movies, shown under recommendations, which I want on all devices but it seems I can only keep on iPad or delete.

Which recommendations is that, where do you see that? The ‘Genius’ recommendations in the iTunes Store app are an account feature, based on past purchases and optionally some library content. That shouldn’t be specific to a device.

Do all these devices have the same Apple ID account?

What is the version OS on the iPad?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Someone in Bermuda

1. Does Apple TV stream (I don't want to save my movie files to my laptop). If it can stream how can I put the movies in the Cloud?

Not sure what “my movie files” consists of. Is this about purchases from the iTunes Store? Then those are available to stream from Apple’s servers without a need to download first. No action needed.

Is this about personal home videos? Then you can store those in e.g. your iCloud space/iCloud Photos. If you have a lot of such videos, then you may need to upgrade your iCloud plan (5-50-200-2000 GB). It is good practice to also have a local backup of things that are too important to risk losing.

For other kinds of videos, ask yourself if you have permission from the content creator/​rights holder.

2. Does it synchronize between MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad? Do I have to tell it to do that?

Content on remote servers (cloud) is available equally to all your devices.

3. iPhone has an extra movie on it not on other devices. How do I rescue it?

Syncing media files to iPhone (TV app library/Music app library) is one way. I do not know of a method to sync back to a computer; it is probably officially unsupported. You should have a kept the original on a computer. Only videos in the Photo Library can be synced (transferred) to a computer.

4. iPad has many movies, shown under recommendations, which I want on all devices but it seems I can only keep on iPad or delete.

Which recommendations is that, where do you see that? The ‘Genius’ recommendations in the iTunes Store app are an account feature, based on past purchases and optionally some library content. That shouldn’t be specific to a device.

Do all these devices have the same Apple ID account?

What is the version OS on the iPad?

Feb 21, 2023 10:11 AM in response to Someone in Bermuda

Thank you for answering my multi point post. I especially appreciate it as I think I probably should have asked one question at a time.

1. So put personal videos in Icloud. Somebody warned me it "synched". So I don't just put it in Icloud it has to be on the computer as well? Or can it be on Icloud and Dropbox as well? Is it a problem having the personal movie just on Icloud?

3 and 4 referred to personal movies that were on the computer being moved to phone (1 movie) and Ipad - many movies that say on the Ipad screen (see screen dump) "Review Downloaded Videos 1.06GB and Review TV Downloads 41.12GB. As far as I remember the movies were copied using USB cord then there were hard drive issues leaving, as far as I know, the movies only on the Ipad and I wanted to put them back on the computer. I can see them on the IPAD but can't get to them it seems. Am I right? Just enjoy them till the ipad reaches the end of its life? Its OS 16.2 which I think is the last time I can update.

I appreciate your help.

Apple TV Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.