Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers spreadsheet won't open

One particular (and important) spreadsheet won't open on my iMac, MacBook Pro or iPad Air. I get a message telling me it can only be opened on iCloud or a newer Mac. However other spreadsheets open on the computer as usual - they maybe just as old but perhaps not so complex as the one that won't open. So when I open it on iCloud it doesn't work in the same way as on the computer so I'm having to learn how to use a new system - very frustrating especially as on one sheet it won't let me unhide a large number of rows some of which need editing. If I was able to do that then I could manage.

The iMac OS is High Sierra 10.13.6 and the MBP is Catalina 10.15.7. The iPad Air is on iOS 16.2 and I realise that would open from iCloud anyway.

Funnily enough I was able to download the file as an Excel file and then open it in Numbers on the computer and make the amendments but this file has not uploaded to iCloud.

This has only happened in the last couple of months and any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 2:12 PM

If you have a backup of the document, you could start over from there.

I don't know if reverting to an older version (File->Revert to) will work or not but that's worth a shot. I'd make a backup copy first.

If you haven't used any "recent" functions or features in the document, you might be able to export as Numbers '09 then bring it back up to whatever the more recent version is you are running. Kinda doubtful this will work well.

You'll have to avoid using Numbers in iCloud if you do any of these (until you have a new computer). My MacBook is too old to get Ventura. I suspect I'll be forced to get a new one before too long even though it is perfectly functional in every other way.

Buying new stuff is fun, but not when you are being forced to do it. I am

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 2:12 PM in response to jackmcdw

If you have a backup of the document, you could start over from there.

I don't know if reverting to an older version (File->Revert to) will work or not but that's worth a shot. I'd make a backup copy first.

If you haven't used any "recent" functions or features in the document, you might be able to export as Numbers '09 then bring it back up to whatever the more recent version is you are running. Kinda doubtful this will work well.

You'll have to avoid using Numbers in iCloud if you do any of these (until you have a new computer). My MacBook is too old to get Ventura. I suspect I'll be forced to get a new one before too long even though it is perfectly functional in every other way.

Buying new stuff is fun, but not when you are being forced to do it. I am

Feb 21, 2023 2:33 AM in response to jackmcdw

Apple is very poor with respect to backward compatibility. If you save a Numbers file with a version of Numbers that is higher than what another device/computer has, you may not be able to open it on that other device again unless you update Numbers to the latest (or at least a more recent) version. This is especially a problem for those of us who have older devices that cannot update to the latest version. iCloud is always the latest version of Numbers so opening a file there will end up converting it to the most recent version and might brick it for one or more of your older devices. The real kicker is Apple will continually hound you to update to the latest version on every device that can be updated, which is the absolute worst thing for you to do if you cannot update ALL of your computers and devices to the same level.

Feb 21, 2023 5:31 AM in response to jackmcdw

New features often depend on advances in technology. If you want to have a good experience with Numbers there comes a time when old machines and operating systems need to be put out to pasture.

Maintaining backwards compatibility comes at a cost. If you need it, you will probably be happier with Excel.

SG

Feb 21, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Badunit

Thank you Badunit for your response which has told me exactly what I was suspecting! As it happens I do think it's about time I updated my iMac but I am not happy that Apple are effectively making me do so! The irritating thing is that it looks as though all the adjustments I made on the downloaded Excel version I will now have to try to do on the iCloud version even if I can't unhide the rows I need.

Feb 21, 2023 9:36 AM in response to SGIII

Thank you SG for your response. I have pretty well come to the same conclusion - that I really do need to update my iMac which I will probably do when Apple release the latest version. I thought of downloading Excel but it seems that I have to take out a subscription, which would be pointless if I'm going to get a new iMac!

Feb 23, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Badunit

Thanks for this Badunit. I don't know about reverting but you reminded me that I have a Time Machine back up - don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. So I restored the file from 4 December and it works! Updating it took a bit of time but the point is I now have exactly what I wanted - a Numbers file I can open on my iMac.

So I can relax about buying a new computer and do that when I'm ready - might as well wait until they release the latest version, which hopefully will be in the near future.

Thanks again - and all the best.

Numbers spreadsheet won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.