Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Elevation not reading

Elevation on Series 6 Apple Watch, iOS 9.3.1, just shows three dashes, no value, how do I make it display correctly?

Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 5:43 PM

Hi caroleanne48,

From the support article Use the compass on Apple Watch:

"If you see a red spinning radar

If you see a red spinning radar instead of the compass when you open the Compass app, it means the Compass can't calibrate. Check these settings on the companion iPhone:

• Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and make sure that Compass Calibration is turned on. 
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security and make sure that Location Services is turned on.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > Compass, then tap While Using the App.

If the Compass app still can't calibrate, it might be affected by magnetic interference found in certain scenarios. These could include dense urban areas, indoor spaces with limited connectivity, or while traveling in a car.

Coordinates may not be available in all regions."

Try adjusting the settings described to see if those will resolve that behavior and allow the elevation to be calculated.

Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 5:43 PM in response to caroleanne48

Hi caroleanne48,

From the support article Use the compass on Apple Watch:

"If you see a red spinning radar

If you see a red spinning radar instead of the compass when you open the Compass app, it means the Compass can't calibrate. Check these settings on the companion iPhone:

• Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and make sure that Compass Calibration is turned on. 
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security and make sure that Location Services is turned on.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > Compass, then tap While Using the App.

If the Compass app still can't calibrate, it might be affected by magnetic interference found in certain scenarios. These could include dense urban areas, indoor spaces with limited connectivity, or while traveling in a car.

Coordinates may not be available in all regions."

Try adjusting the settings described to see if those will resolve that behavior and allow the elevation to be calculated.

Regards.

Feb 22, 2023 1:25 PM in response to caroleanne48

Hello caroleanne48,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with elevation showing incorrectly on your watch. Try the steps here to see if they resolve the issue: Use the Compass app on Apple Watch - Apple Support

"Add the elevation complication to the watch face (Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 6 and later only)

The always-on altimeter on Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 6 and later lets you track your current elevation in real time. Add the elevation complication to the watch face to see your elevation with a glance.

1. With the watch face showing, touch and hold the display, then tap Edit.
  2. Swipe left all the way to the end.
  3. If a face offers complications, they’re shown on the last screen.
  4. Tap a complication to select it, turn the Digital Crown to Compass, then choose Elevation.
  5. Press the Digital Crown to save your changes, then tap the face to switch to it."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Feb 23, 2023 5:22 PM in response to K_Faith

I already have the ‘complication’ on my watch face. I included a pic, website turned it sideways, but it does show the elevation ‘icon’. Up arrow, down arrow and where the elevation should be are three dashes instead of a value. When I tap on it, it takes me to the compass app which shows a red compass dial spinning ‘round’ and ‘round’. Maybe I didn’t word my question right but How do I make the “actual” value of the elevation show? It doesn’t give me a number.

Elevation not reading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.