Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone say SOS?

I see "SOS" in the signal bar in the top right. I can't make any calls or access the internet. How do I get out of this? I've tried restarting the phone multiple times.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2023 12:51 PM

Hello! That means that you have no cellular reception. The "SOS" means that the Emergency SOS Satellite feature is still available in case of an emergency.

If you find that you're in an area that has cellular service but you still are not getting a signal on your iPhone, I would recommend making sure cellular data is enabled.

1. Open Settings
  2. Click Cellular
  3. Make sure that in the ESIM section, "Turn on this Line" is enabled. (This is only applicable for iPhones with an ESIM, international iPhones still use SIM. In that case, make sure it's inserted correctly.

If these steps did not help, I would recommend restarting the phone. If you're still having issues, I would recommend taking the phone to be seen by a professional. Hope this helps!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2023 12:51 PM in response to jacks81x

Hello! That means that you have no cellular reception. The "SOS" means that the Emergency SOS Satellite feature is still available in case of an emergency.

If you find that you're in an area that has cellular service but you still are not getting a signal on your iPhone, I would recommend making sure cellular data is enabled.

1. Open Settings
  2. Click Cellular
  3. Make sure that in the ESIM section, "Turn on this Line" is enabled. (This is only applicable for iPhones with an ESIM, international iPhones still use SIM. In that case, make sure it's inserted correctly.

If these steps did not help, I would recommend restarting the phone. If you're still having issues, I would recommend taking the phone to be seen by a professional. Hope this helps!

Feb 21, 2023 12:50 PM in response to jacks81x

Try to do a force restart -> Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

If it doesn't help, remove and reinsert the SIM card.

If it doesn't help visit your carrier, maybe the SIM card is damaged, ask for a replaced (new) card. Normally it is free.

Ask also to check if the SIM tray is bent, as even a tiny misalignment can cause the SIM card to not fully connect with the internal contacts in your iPhone.

If it doesn't help, see these Apple articles below:

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

Why does my iPhone say SOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.