Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead MacBook Air

Hi everyone,

My MacBook Air, which is only a couple of years old, randomly died last night. The screen went black and it was unresponsive to any keyboard commands to try and boot it up. I’ve taken it to Jump+ (a trusted Apple repair place), and they’ve kept it to try and fix it.

I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else, if anyone might know why something like this would happen out of the blue, and if anyone knows if it’s possible to recover data from a laptop that won’t turn on.

It seems very odd that this happened, considering it’s a newer laptop, I take good care of it, it had plenty of available storage, the battery was charged and charging fine, and there was no warning before it shut down. Could it be a hardware issue that could be replaced/fixed? Could it be to do with the fact that I didn’t start using the laptop right after purchase and it sat in the box for awhile? Could it be a virus or malware that would cause it to abruptly shut down? I was in the middle of watching a zoom recording for work when it happened, and it seems very strange the way it just shut off and wouldn’t/won’t come back on.

I’d like to know why/how this happened, if anyone has any insight, and if it’s possible to get photos/data off of the chip inside the laptop (as I understand it is not a hard drive)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 5:12 AM

OS failures, Malware issues & Hardware issues are the most common causes of why your Mac doesn’t turn on. In case your Mac system has crashed & not booting, then you can use the system’s built-in utilities and specific data recovery software to restore the data.

Hope it helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 5:12 AM in response to klsshard

OS failures, Malware issues & Hardware issues are the most common causes of why your Mac doesn’t turn on. In case your Mac system has crashed & not booting, then you can use the system’s built-in utilities and specific data recovery software to restore the data.

Hope it helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dead MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.