Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to avoid losing access to Apple TV purchased movies when you change apple iD (or stop tv+subscription)?

How to transfer Apple TV purchased movies from one ID to another (being the same person)? I recently changed my Apple ID and was told that I would lose access to all content I had purchased using my old ID. Same if I changed Apple TV+ subscription to the new ID. Doesn’t seem fair. They were bought, not temporarily rented, by same person (me)

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 4:19 AM

Purchases and subscribed services are available to you on your Apple ID account as used to buy or subscribe. These services are not available to other Apple ID accounts, and these properties cannot be transferred to other accounts.

When you stop and resubscribe for the Apple TV+ subscription, then that has no consequences for purchased movies.

I recently changed my Apple ID …

One could have changed the name (email address) for an Apple ID account, without creating a new account. Then all the purchases and subscriptions would have stayed with it. Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

You don’t mention why you did change it, so I can’t say if that would have been a proper solution to your situation.

Doesn’t seem fair. They were bought, not temporarily rented, by same person (me)

These purchases are still available to you … on your old Apple ID account.

One possible workaround is to have both accounts in a Family Sharing group with Purchase Sharing active, although that is more complicated that just using the original Apple ID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 4:19 AM in response to SBL10

Purchases and subscribed services are available to you on your Apple ID account as used to buy or subscribe. These services are not available to other Apple ID accounts, and these properties cannot be transferred to other accounts.

When you stop and resubscribe for the Apple TV+ subscription, then that has no consequences for purchased movies.

I recently changed my Apple ID …

One could have changed the name (email address) for an Apple ID account, without creating a new account. Then all the purchases and subscriptions would have stayed with it. Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

You don’t mention why you did change it, so I can’t say if that would have been a proper solution to your situation.

Doesn’t seem fair. They were bought, not temporarily rented, by same person (me)

These purchases are still available to you … on your old Apple ID account.

One possible workaround is to have both accounts in a Family Sharing group with Purchase Sharing active, although that is more complicated that just using the original Apple ID.

How to avoid losing access to Apple TV purchased movies when you change apple iD (or stop tv+subscription)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.