Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eSIM

Hello

Apologies for what may seem a fatuous question

I have an iPhone 12 with a physical SIM side bay: However, settings shows the option for an eSIM and I would like to use this option, if possible, when I travel abroad, to avoid huge roaming charges from my home carrier. Is this still possible to do?

Thanks

iPhone 12

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2023 5:16 AM

Yes, it is.

You have two choices: contact your cellular carrier and see if they offer that service (check the prices), or, if your iPhone is unlocked, you can contact an abroad carrier who can provide eSIM service.

For any further questions, I suggest that you read this support article:--> Using Dual SIM with an eSIM - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2023 5:16 AM in response to anton von paphos

Yes, it is.

You have two choices: contact your cellular carrier and see if they offer that service (check the prices), or, if your iPhone is unlocked, you can contact an abroad carrier who can provide eSIM service.

For any further questions, I suggest that you read this support article:--> Using Dual SIM with an eSIM - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Feb 22, 2023 5:22 AM in response to anton von paphos

Usually, yes.

Here is how to use eSIM on eSIM capable iPhone models, including on most iPhone 12:

About eSIM on iPhone - Apple Support

That article also includes how to transfer your current carrier plan into the eSIM, which would give you the option to load two plans, with the SIM available for roaming. Or you could keep the SIM, and load the eSIm for roaming, though eSIM plans and service can be less common in some areas of the planet.

You will need to have an iPhone that is not carrier locked:

How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Feb 22, 2023 5:19 AM in response to anton von paphos

You can. You would need to acquire a eSIM from a carrier in the country you will visit. It would probably be a prepaid plan.

Be aware, some carriers do NOT offer the eSIM option on prepaid or pay as you go accounts.

Make sure the phone is carrier unlocked. Otherwise a SIM (eSIM or physical) from a different carrier will not work on a carrier locked phone.

eSIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.